32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
I've always preferred the Seamaster. The Speedmaster seems cluttered.

So this is the thread that caused the ruckus...

Thanks for posting benjclark. I love the Speedy, it's one of the few watches I aspire to own. I've convinced myself that I'll get it for my 50th. Which will be all too soon.

That watch is iconic because of its associations with NASA and what I would describe as 1960s American modernism. It is as trad as the Brooks Brothers suits of the day.

tocqueville

Suspended
United States
DC
Washington
I'm no lab tech, but did this testing involve more than placing a running watch in a vacuum, maybe goosing the temperature a few times, and making sure it was still operating correctly? Did other watches fail?
Yes. Vibrations, g-force, and extreme temperature variations. I believe the other watches failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain America

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
IL
Ottawa
I like the Seamaster, too. I acknowledge the role of the Speedmaster and can see its design values as well. Would I want a Speedy (I'm also a space nut to some extent)? No. It's just too cluttered with stuff and too busy, and I just don't really use chrono functions.

The Speedy remains cool, too, due to the mechanical nature of it all as well as the anachronistic manual winding stuff. There IS a reduced size Speedy (something like 38 mm) which is automatic, so on two counts there, it's an adapted Speedy I think I could live with.

Is the McDonald's Last Supper offensive and in bad taste? In the interconnected world we live in today, by all measures, it surely is. I suppose some might find an image of Moses or Mohammed dressed for basketball to be funny, but something like that, too, would be out of good taste. Do I believe in censorship or in punishing the antireligious? No. I suppose in response I could post a picture of Carl Sagan wearing a thong.

Last edited:

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
I like the Seamaster, too. I acknowledge the role of the Speedmaster and can see its design values as well. Would I want a Speedy (I'm also a space nut to some extent)? No. It's just too cluttered with stuff and too busy, and I just don't really use chrono functions.

The Speedy remains cool, too, due to the mechanical nature of it all as well as the anachronistic manual winding stuff. There IS a reduced size Speedy (something like 38 mm) which is automatic, so on two counts there, it's an adapted Speedy I think I could live with.

Is the McDonald's Last Supper offensive and in bad taste? In the interconnected world we live in today, by all measures, it surely is. I suppose some might find an image of Moses or Mohammed dressed for basketball to be funny, but something like that, too, would be out of good taste. Do I believe in censorship or in punishing the antireligious? No. I suppose in response I could post a picture of Carl Sagan wearing a thong.
You possess such a thing?

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I'm no lab tech, but did this testing involve more than placing a running watch in a vacuum, maybe goosing the temperature a few times, and making sure it was still operating correctly? Did other watches fail?
I'm really not sure of the whole history to be quite honest.

As for the testing, no one really knew the rigors of going into space. Think about the physical testing process and how it's evolved over the years.

Alas, the watch is now considered the moon watch so from a branding standpoint, Omega has done its job.

Tempest

Honors Member
United States
NJ
Windham Park
Alas, the watch is now considered the moon watch so from a branding standpoint, Omega has done its job.
This is what I am rather amused by, that they have milked this for over forty years. Within the last few years they did some astronaut Snoopy watch for the moon connection. I get the iconic mythos and all, but the Vulcan in me wonders if some Ironman or G-shock wouldn't sustain the same conditions. Yes, they are ugly rubber digital things...

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts