delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
Would anyone here really see an applicant in a bad light if he were overdressed?

Perhaps a suit or even a blazer may not be the norm or the culture, but would anyone really turn away an applicant who may be qualified?

Just curious and would love to hear from someone who would.
Asking the choir here, we're not going to give an unbiased answer.

We post on a clothing forum.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Asking the choir here, we're not going to give an unbiased answer.

We post on a clothing forum.
Can't say I disagree with anything mentioned in the article.
Those two statements seem to not reconcile.

I cannot imagine any SERIOUS employer finding it off putting if an applicant were to arrive dressed more traditionally.

If we’re talking about tech, most of these kids are hired out of school and have likely done a summer internship at the company. It’s likely that if there was an interview process, it occurred then and the actual offer for employment made following.

UteLawyer

United States
UT
Salt Lake City
If we’re talking about tech, most of these kids are hired out of school and have likely done a summer internship at the company. It’s likely that if there was an interview process, it occurred then and the actual offer for employment made following.
Job hopping is practically expected in the tech sector. Long gone are the days when someone would accept a job at a business and then work there for thirty years. The way tech companies are bought and sold these days, a worker would be naive to think they will be working at the same company in 10 years. It is inevitable that a tech worker will need to interview at a company where they do not really know the people or culture.

mlenecare

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
illinois
lemont
I interview people frequently and I can't imagine being put off by someone being well dressed unless they were in semi formal or formal attire.
1568385052368.png

delicious_scent

Canada
Saskatchewan
Regina
Those two statements seem to not reconcile.

I cannot imagine any SERIOUS employer finding it off putting if an applicant were to arrive dressed more traditionally.

I'll elaborate.

If I was an employer, I'd like to think I would never dislike it if an applicant was traditionally dressed or "overdressed".

My thoughts are that reality is likely different.

If I showed up to a trade job interview wearing jacket and tie, it would likely come off as socially inept and conveying misunderstanding of the job itself.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I'll elaborate.

If I was an employer, I'd like to think I would never dislike it if an applicant was traditionally dressed or "overdressed".

My thoughts are that reality is likely different.

If I showed up to a trade job interview wearing jacket and tie, it would likely come off as socially inept and conveying misunderstanding of the job itself.
That may be your perception and you’re certainly entitled to it. I just don’t think that people really would perceive someone as socially inept for doing so.

This has been standard practice for decades. Regardless of how casual a work environment may be, I just cannot imagine a reasonable person viewing an applicant in that light.

cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad

In a spate of baader-meinhoffian goodness, a friend sent me a link to someone who brought an emotional support clown to a meeting.

Obviously, the extreme. And I apologize for drifting off topic.

But the point I think I wanted folks to consider wasn't that wearing a suit for an office job interview was bad. But that there is a limit. Maybe you have to be extreme, but my guess is that it's best to stay within the norms for the job, while assuring you can present yourself confidently as a well put together candidate. Most people who talk about clothing and read about it on the internets are likely more comfortable with the traditional fashion sense of the more professional job market.

But if I were a 22 year old and decided to, say, apply to wait tables at the restaurant in town where everyone dresses like brooklyn hipsters, I'd be a lot more confident in an interview wearing a plaid shirt and jeans with the cuffs rolled up than my suit. All the wait staff and bussers wear this, the manager wears this (all the time), and it is the uniform for the job just as much as a suit is a uniform for a lawyer going in front of a judge.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts