Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Trades and low level service jobs are clearly below the bar for suits for interviews. Is there any disagreement on this point?

Professional jobs, a category which should be easy to define, have a higher dress standard for interviews. This is self evident.

This week, I started my third, and hopefully final career, as a senior level professional pre sales consultant with a large well known tech data company. “Office casual” rules the day. Coming out of a decade at State Department, I don’t know what “office casual” means and I found myself coordinating my dress with my female supervisor during my first two days visiting HQ, which was unusual for me....to say the very least. The “casual” environment clearly has hard and fast rules and is not as unstructured as one might think.

My ties fear that they are facing redundancy. I try to offer reassurance, but they are skeptical.

Cheers,

BSR

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Trades and low level service jobs are clearly below the bar for suits for interviews. Is there any disagreement on this point?

Professional jobs, a category which should be easy to define, have a higher dress standard for interviews. This is self evident.

This week, I started my third, and hopefully final career, as a senior level professional pre sales consultant with a large well known tech data company. “Office casual” rules the day. Coming out of a decade at State Department, I don’t know what “office casual” means and I found myself coordinating my dress with my female supervisor during my first two days visiting HQ, which was unusual for me....to say the very least. The “casual” environment clearly has hard and fast rules and is not as unstructured as one might think.

My ties fear that they are facing redundancy. I try to offer reassurance, but they are skeptical.

Cheers,

BSR
Wishing you and your ties well! :beer:

Perhaps they can become a secret vice. After all have left, lock the door, don a hidden tie, and strut proudly about the office!

:pirate:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY

Cheers,

BSR
The best of luck in your new career.

I have no doubt you'll find a very attractive sartorial style within the "rules" of the office's casual attire.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago

Cheers,

BSR
Your tie will only get in the way when you do a keg stand during the office social hour. An event likely to occur between noon and 1pm. What will you do for the rest of the day?

Troones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Here are my thoughts on the matter. Yes, there are many jobs where a man will never be required to wear a suit, whether that be because he wears a uniform, safety equipment, or a number of other reasons. But does that mean that men who work those jobs never have a reason in their lives to wear a suit? Wouldn't an important interview be one of those times in your life where that suit comes out?

Wearing a suit and tie to an interview is showing respect for the interviewer, the company, and the process. It's not meant to display your personal style, or to show off how good you plan to look while strutting around the place. I figured most employers would get that, and not assume an interviewee was clueless about the company's culture because they're "over dressed."

Last edited:

Tiger

United States
New York
New York City
Many interesting points made by AAAC members. I found the article to be quite basic - what is touted as new truths have actually been around for a couple of decades or longer. The article espouses a few common sense points that most of us already know and understand. This idea that people a generation older are somehow disconnected from the real world reeks of youthful arrogance.

Maljunulo

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Connecticut
Vernon
No arrogance is quite so annoying as youthful arrogance.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony

Cheers,

BSR
I fear the US State Department and this Great Nation of ours are the losers in your recent decision to change careers, but good luck in your new ventures. The "tech data company" you represent are the real winners in this move! ;)

cmoore

United States
CA
carlsbad
No arrogance is quite so annoying as youthful arrogance.
I used the phrase "The casual arrogance of youth" a while back. That's weird state someone (12- 16- 20 whatever) years old can get in where they understand everything about the culture of their peers, but their peers are all exactly their age and doing exactly the same thing. "People just don't understand!" Yeah, sparky, they do. Their world view is just a little larger than yours.

Strangely, I miss the casual arrogance of youth. I don't want to go back to it, most of us prefer to be a little less offensive as we mature, but life is easy when you don't realize how many people just quietly chalk you up as a jerk.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
From "Cold Mountain," where a very tired from life, war, poverty, hunger and disappointment Inman (Jude Law) is about to engage in a gunfight with a the younger, not-yet-exhausted-and-disaffected-by-life Bosie (Charlie Hunnan) and Bosie is trying to get inside Inman's head:

Bosie: Tell you what I got on my side.
Inman: What have you got on your side?
Bosie: The confidence of youth.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts