dparm

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Trying to thrift some overcoats on eBay and sizing is something I'm unclear on.

Are overcoats already cut larger to begin with (i.e. a 40R overcoat is larger than a 40R blazer), or does one need to size up?

The specific one I am eyeing is London Fog, 40R. I generally wear 39R or 40R for my suits.

Woofa

United States
Texas
Fort Worth
My understanding is that coats are made to fit over your suit jacket. So, size 40R suit still wears a size 40R overcoat but it is cut slightly larger to allow for the suit underneath.
Having said that, I wonder nowadays how many of these are made without the intention of ever being worn over a suit and you may want to contact Londonfog to be sure.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?75374-overcoat-sizing-system

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
It depends on the brand. In general, yes. Overcoats are already cut a bit larger to accommodate being worn over a suit coat or other outwear.

However, some of the fashionista brands may not hold to this standard so it's always wisest to try on first.

ilrprbp

Starting Member
United States
Maryland
Maryland
Find out what measurements are right for you, then get specific measurements from the seller and hope they can measure properly. (not always the case) Also ask them to look it over again for any moth bites or other defects when they measure it. It'll cost you fifteen bucks to return it if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Not sure why you're going the eBay route. If you live in Chicago, there are TONS of thrift stores that invariably have tons of overcoats that inevitably languish and sell for next to nothing. I've left before more pure cashmere than I care to remember because overcoats ares nearly impossible to flip, given their weight and the always-soft market. Why settle for London Fog when you can have Brooks Brothers, or better, for less money? And if you are set on London Fog or equivalent, you shouldn't have much trouble finding one for $10 or less, which is less than it costs to ship an overcoat.

If I were you, I'd get out in the field myself and find one. That way, you don't have to guess about sizing or anything else.

dparm

United States
Illinois
Chicago
Such as? I've yet to find a thrift store that carries decent stuff. A lot of it is "vintage for the sake of vintage".

I also emailed London Fog to ask about how to properly size their coats.

Not sure why you're going the eBay route. If you live in Chicago, there are TONS of thrift stores that invariably have tons of overcoats that inevitably languish and sell for next to nothing. I've left before more pure cashmere than I care to remember because overcoats ares nearly impossible to flip, given their weight and the always-soft market.

If I were you, I'd get out in the field myself and find one. That way, you don't have to guess about sizing or anything else.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
Just added to my post. You should PM EazyE on TOF. He's in Chicago and knows all the best places. I spent a weekend thrifting with him a couple years back and it was truly eye opening. We went to at least ten places and came away with lots and lots and lots of great stuff. The places we went were on the North Side, approx. equidistant between Wrigley and Gold Coast. In fact, if you get in touch with E., I'm pretty sure he can find one for you if you don't want to go yourself. Would be a better, and likely cheaper, way to go than via a stranger on eBay.

Can't remember the name of the for-profit we went to--there were three or four locations, all run by the same company. The Brown Elephant on North Clark isn't a true thrift, but it's a great place for vintage clothing at prices between thrift and consignment.

Here's a good primer from a Chicago thrifter: http://www.rookiemag.com/2012/03/thrifting-the-master-class/

Last edited:

dparm

United States
Illinois
Chicago
What's TOF?

dparm

United States
Illinois
Chicago
As a follow-up question, I'm noticing that some overcoats/jackets are NOT sized to be worn over a blazer or whatever. (i.e. the chest or shoulder measurements on the 40R overcoat are the same as a 40R blazer)

As a rule-of-thumb, what sort of "extra room" do I need on top of my normal suit measurements? Should I just go one-size up, or if I have the option to get full measurements, should I add X/Y/Z?

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts