Pant Matching

mendozar

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NY
New York
Does anybody know a tailor in New York City who's good at creating pants that match the fabric of a jacket? (I made the mistake of not getting separate pair of pants for a white dinner jacket and just using the one that came with the black one, but that's another discussion.)

The pants are starting to show wear in the crotch area. The jacket is perfectly serviceable, so I was wondering if I could get an extra pair of pants made for travel; maybe use the old ones around town.

I looked for any labels (you know, the ones usually inside the right inside jacket pocket) that might indicate details like specific fabric/model number/season, but the closest I'm getting is Super 120s Loro Piana.

I got the tuxedo at the late AT Harris, so consulting the people I purchased it from is unfortunately no longer an option.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Does anybody know a tailor in New York City who's good at creating pants that match the fabric of a jacket? (I made the mistake of not getting separate pair of pants for a white dinner jacket and just using the one that came with the black one, but that's another discussion.)

The pants are starting to show wear in the crotch area. The jacket is perfectly serviceable, so I was wondering if I could get an extra pair of pants made for travel; maybe use the old ones around town.

I looked for any labels (you know, the ones usually inside the right inside jacket pocket) that might indicate details like specific fabric/model number/season, but the closest I'm getting is Super 120s Loro Piana.

I got the tuxedo at the late AT Harris, so consulting the people I purchased it from is unfortunately no longer an option.
I'm confused. Wouldn't any pair of formal wear pants work just fine?

mendozar

United States
NY
New York
Sorry, staring at a bunch of tuxedos for an extended period of time=you start noticing differences between "shades of black." Or am I just perceiving that due to the differences in fabric? Do you think I should just ask Loro Piana what their black super 120s is? Or are there different types I have to worry about? A brief glance at their site shows all these different fabric types "Tasmanian," "Zelander," etc.

Cardinals5

Honors Member
United States
SC
Greenville
It sounds like the OP had a full dinner suit and then purchased a separate white dinner jacket and decided to wear one pair of trousers with both. The trousers doing double duty have now begun to show their wear and he'd like to find fabric that matches the original black dinner jacket to make up a new pair of pants.

Usually finding matching fabric will be very difficult, especially since it sounds like the black dinner jacket has seen some wear, had several dry cleanings, etc., and so even if you find the original fabric you're not likely to end up with an exact match. That said, it's not impossible to find very similar fabric to match and most people would never notice (my trousers don't match my dinner jacket exactly, but it's so close most who noticed would think it's just an effect of the lighting) I think you'd do best to visit someone like Paul Winston at Winston Tailors and see what he could do for you (he's also a member of the forum).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^
Thanks Cardinal5. I locked in on the white dinner jacket and completely overlooked the black jacket! :crazy:

mendozar

United States
NY
New York
Thanks Cardinal5. Might actually swing by there today...quick Google search indicates they're coincidentally on the same block where AT Harris was. They even share the same telephone exchange as J. Press (not surprising, old Press store/now BB women on that block as well)...