Paris report? Burgundy France

Discussion in 'Food, Drink and Travel & The Arts' started by Mr. B. Scott Robinson, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Super Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Atlanta, Georgia
    United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    Will be spending a week in lovely Avallon, in Burgundy, the second week of June with a group of debauched university friends.

This is the accommodation....https://www.burgundycastle.com/

Never visited the area before. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

BSR

2. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    Also planning a two day stay in Paris. It appears that the yellow vest protests and looting is still a factor. Anyone have a first hand report on in the tourist situation in the city?
    Cheers,

BSR

3. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    Wow, apparently the France tourist trade is dead?

Cheers,

BSR

4. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    I won't be going until October so can't help you much. But if you are staying in Paris, La Coupole not to be missed. And if you eat at an American hour (six-ish) you can walk right in and sit down for a wonderful meal while the French are getting around to lining up for dinner at seven. The walls are covered with the finest of early XX Century art (the original owner traded food for art from struggling artists like Picasso, Braque and friends) and if you order the special of the day (there are three each day) you get superb food at very reasonable prices.

5. derum

derum Super Member

United States
    Texas
    Houston
    Wherever you go in Burgundy, drink the local wine. - not the well known stuff, each small area has its own vineyards which produce amazing wines which you will never see outside of the region.
    In Paris, take some marshmallows and go to Notre Dame.
    (too soon ?)

Mr. B. Scott Robinson likes this.
  6. Oldsarge

United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    It's not like this is the first time Notre Dame has burned, yanno. Getting burned down and rebuilt is sort of the normal fate of European cathedrals, just like getting sacked and left to crumble is the normal fate of castles.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson likes this.
  7. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    Correct! We tend to think that these great buildings are frozen in amber due to modern fire suppression systems. As you say, they have been repaired, destroyed, rebuilt and modified repeatedly over the centuries. Windsor burned only a few years ago and it was rebuilt in short order. Notre Dame, once repaired, will carry the thumbprint of 21st century craft well into the future.

Change is the only constant.

Cheers,

BSR

8. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    I will be spending a few nights in Paris. First at the St. James and next at the d'Aubusson. Never stayed in either before but they look like nice digs. I will certainly take a look at Notre Dame. I collect bits and pieces of historic buildings, so maybe I can pick up a souvenir!

Cheers,

BSR

9. Oldsarge

United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    Don't get caught!;)

10. Mr. B. Scott Robinson