TerryM

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Colorado
Durango
I have mentioned myself as a Paul Stuart fan before. One of the great things about Stuart is the consistent high quality. I hope that hasn't changed. Sorry you are not finding current styles that you like.

TheBarbaron

United States
Virginia
Charlottesville
Some beautiful prose by several members in this thread, very neatly painting a PS still life.

I have nothing by Paul Stuart (yet), and have only visited the Madison Avenue store twice. And yet, I browse their website frequently, and in a thought exercise with other sartorially inclined colleagues I felt comfortable saying, "If my entire wardrobe disappeared, and I had to refill it at one brand only, I would live in Paul Stuart."

icky thump

United States
NY
Pleasantville
I wish PS would bring back the “silky powder suit.” For those wondering, the highest twist wool ever. Never wrinkled. Jackets
had a French lining, ie, unlined. You could wear one on a cross country flight and go to a meeting off the flight dapper as Dan.

While I still have a one PS suit (I shrank out of the ones I owned — they never wore out) they have become a bit too expensive. In addition, like many retailers they have bailed on single vent.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I wish PS would bring back the “silky powder suit.” For those wondering, the highest twist wool ever. Never wrinkled. Jackets
had a French lining, ie, unlined. You could wear one on a cross country flight and go to a meeting off the flight dapper as Dan.

While I still have a one PS suit (I shrank out of the ones I owned — they never wore out) they have become a bit too expensive. In addition, like many retailers they have bailed on single vent.
Never bought one, always intrigued by their description of the hand and its drape. Tightly spun lightweight yarn which was then coated with silk protein allowing them to relax while breathing perfectly. Sounds ideal for hot weather.

Last edited:

Dcr5468

United States
Louisiana
Mandeville
Great stuff on sale, but they are not well prepared for internet sales. I had a return that they are taking weeks to resolve and was also double charged for something that I am having to go through my card servicer to dispute.

At least I can go in person in August to spend my store credit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Great stuff on sale, but they are not well prepared for internet sales. I had a return that they are taking weeks to resolve and was also double charged for something that I am having to go through my card servicer to dispute.

At least I can go in person in August to spend my store credit.

Keep in mind PS has a total of 4 stores in the US and I believe one in Tokyo. They are primarily a brick and mortar operation.

Though I will agree with you that if they are going to be selling online, they need to do a better job at managing and supporting that aspect of their business.

You’ll enjoy visiting the store. Which location?

Dcr5468

United States
Louisiana
Mandeville
Manhattan for US Open. Wife is a huge tennis fan - me not so much, but never a shortage of things to do.

peterc

United States
california
san francisco
Lots of great comments on this thread. I simply adore Paul Stuart and have always been treated well there. I think the price is reasonable for the quality and certainly better value than, say, Isaia, Zegna, or TOMFORD. I have socks from PS I bought in the 80's that I still wear. I do wish their dress shirts came in a 17.5 33, though.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
The retailer Paul Stuart was once my sartorial lodestone and mentor. In the '80's and '90's they possessed an aesthetic which often combined dazzling innovation in the selection of colors, patterns, and materials wielded with rock-solid, sure-handed Ivy League tastefulness. While not having been inexpensive for a long time, it wasn't about the so-called "luxury" market and certainly wasn't very interested in fashion.

I haven't been there in a long time, so I know any such comparison is a little unfair, but seeing what they put forward in their advertising now, much has changed. And for those who are currently fond of this retailer, I am glad you still are. :) But I truly miss my Paul Stuart. :(

I've kept and still enjoy perusing old Paul Stuart catalogs as I prepare to sleep. And while again enjoying their 1990 Fall catalog, I was struck by all that is now gone. I came upon a page of shirt and tie pairings that I am going to share just because they were so beautiful and creative. Sadly, I can't provide the photos, so a description will have to suffice.

First, let's understand what is being shown and described: for some, shirts and ties automatically only mean rather formal ensembles intended for business or more formal special occasions. And while they certainly can mean that, they can also function as a basis for smart, but relaxed casual wear. And that realization, or actually the fuller understanding of that is how they often had been worn in the '30's and '40's, continued to be expressed in some of Paul Stuart's offerings. So what is being described here are shirts and ties intended for more casual sporting/country venues. But all were available in a full range of dress shirt sizing.

The first pairing is an example of iconic traditional forms rendered in a fresh and innovative way. Specifically it is a medium tattersall pattern shirt in Italian cotton and a knit tie. But what a shirt and what a tie! The shirt has a soft spread collar and a flapped chest pocket. On a white ground the colors are plum, aqua and periwinkle blue. The knit tie is Fair Isle cashmere that is predominantly wine with camel and hunter green.

The second is the same style of shirt, only this cloth is paisley! Yes, paisley! But what a paisley! A medium-sized paisley figure in olive/plum/pine on a wine ground. And despite it's unusual nature, pair it with a darker, earthy tweed, and it can be remarkable. What tie? A herringbone wool/silk stripe woven with a cinnamon colored warp. The stripe is camel and cinnamon, the ground color is cocoa.

The last is a smaller tattersall pattern shirt of Swiss cotton in the same style, done in green and rust on a white ground. Worn with it is another cinnamon warp tie, but in silk, with both a jacquard woven paisley and square on an azure ground.

Note that these are all traditional forms. That's the syntax, but what a dazzlingly gorgeous vocabulary. It's sartorial jazz.

Good luck finding it at your Men's Wearhouse! :D

Sadly, good luck finding it at Paul Stuart. :(
You have tantalized us. Take some cellphone pictures and post them.
I rather like the clothing posted on their website, but I can't afford any of it. I would love too see the classic catalogs you have, though.
Hooray! :happy:

This Luddite actually managed to figure out how to do a scan and save it!

Referenced Paul Stuart catalog Fall and Winter 1990 -

upload_2019-3-3_15-49-10.png

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
⇧ Let me just hop in my time machine and pick up one of those outstanding Fair Isle knit ties.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts