Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Did a couple more scans, but for some reason, they didn't come out as well.

But as intended, they still illustrate my central assertion regarding the original Paul Stuart.

As a retiree, I rarely find myself dressing up to a level of formality such as once was common for business or more formal social events. But if one sometimes enjoys wearing a tie, it need not always be a more formal manner. More sporting options exist as are shown in the page I posted earlier.

Paul Stuart still does ad layouts involving lots of color and pattern, but I'm afraid I find many of them crude imitations of the kaleidoscopic virtuosity with which they once employed the classic lexicon.

upload_2019-3-4_11-10-2.png

Scan doesn't show it as well as the printed page does, but I still think it's brilliant harmonizing of pattern and color. Should you wear it? Probably not. Would I? Maybe 20 years ago before entering senility. ;) But brilliant none-the-less. Walking an aesthetic tight-rope wire!

And when it was time for more sober attire, Paul Stuart did that equally well, and just as elegantly. To some degree I find the present Stuart less adroit, sometimes, crude.

upload_2019-3-4_11-26-56.png

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Did a couple more scans, but for some reason, they didn't come out as well.

But as intended, they still illustrate my central assertion regarding the original Paul Stuart.

As a retiree, I rarely find myself dressing up to a level of formality such as once was common for business or more formal social events. But if one sometimes enjoys wearing a tie, it need not always be a more formal manner. More sporting options exist as are shown in the page I posted earlier.

Paul Stuart still does ad layouts involving lots of color and pattern, but I'm afraid I find many of them crude imitations of the kaleidoscopic virtuosity with which they once employed the classic lexicon.

View attachment 29062

Scan doesn't show it as well as the printed page does, but I still think it's brilliant harmonizing of pattern and color. Should you wear it? Probably not. Would I? Maybe 20 years ago before entering senility. ;) But brilliant non-the-less. Walking an aesthetic tight-rope wire!

And when it was time for more sober attire, Paul Stuart did that equally well, and just as elegantly. To some degree I find the present Stuart less adroit, sometimes, crude.

View attachment 29064
Great stuff - thank you for taking the time to scan.

As we've chatted about before, I think the current PS has more conservative / traditional clothes in the store than you'd be led to believe from the ads, catalog and window displays, all of which show its boldest colors and fashions.

For whatever reason - my guess, PS is trying to drive younger customers to the store and, assume, the regulars know they have the classics, but who knows - the advertising, et al. is not representative of the full line of merchandise.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Great stuff - thank you for taking the time to scan.

As we've chatted about before, I think the current PS has more conservative / traditional clothes in the store than you'd be led to believe from the ads, catalog and window displays, all of which show its boldest colors and fashions.

For whatever reason - my guess, PS is trying to drive younger customers to the store and, assume, the regulars know they have the classics, but who knows - the advertising, et al. is not representative of the full line of merchandise.
You are very welcome!

And I have no doubt you are correct concerning the store offering better options. But it's a pity if caviar decides it wants to look like tuna salad.

And as a marketeer, it makes me ask the question, if I want to try to look just like Suitsupply, why would the market I'm trying to exploit not just shop there instead?

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
You are very welcome!

And I have no doubt you are correct concerning the store offering better options. But it's a pity if caviar decides it wants to look like tuna salad.

And as a marketeer, it makes me ask the question, if I want to try to look just like Suitsupply, why would the market I'm trying to exploit not just shop there instead?
A couple brands have told me that their goal was to look like Bonobos. Brands wants to emulate success or popularity, not model themselves after inspirational brands.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
A couple brands have told me that their goal was to look like Bonobos. Brands wants to emulate success or popularity, not model themselves after inspirational brands.
Yup, the rush to the bottom!

Also-ran's imitate, market leaders innovate, educate and elevate!

rockstar57

Canada
ON
Toronto
Isn't Paul Stuart made by Samuelsohn now? Why not take advantage of their MTM program which is usually cheaper than a RTW PS?

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Isn't Paul Stuart made by Samuelsohn now? Why not take advantage of their MTM program which is usually cheaper than a RTW PS?
The quality may be the same, but the cuts and styles are different, as is the selection of fabrics.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Ready to wear Paul Stuart starts at a pretty reasonable price point.

Also, as MattS mentioned, the cut and overall style will be different.

I know some here have experience with MTM Samuelsohn, but I’m willing to bet that with the premium fabrics that Paul Stuart offers, the price will be pretty much inline.

rockstar57

Canada
ON
Toronto
Ready to wear Paul Stuart starts at a pretty reasonable price point.

Also, as MattS mentioned, the cut and overall style will be different.

I know some here have experience with MTM Samuelsohn, but I’m willing to bet that with the premium fabrics that Paul Stuart offers, the price will be pretty much inline.
Makes sense, but aside from fabrics, we are comparing Samuelsohn MTM with Paul Stuwart RTW, I assume Sammy should give a better fit?

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts