boatswaindog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Connecticut
Handen
I received a catalog and thought them worth a mention. Although some of the clothes are listed as 'imported', a fair amount of their traditional woolen clothing is listed as "imported made of USA fabric". America's oldest woolen mill is still making the traditional robes and woolen shirts in the traditional tartan patterns. And the blankets are all made in the USA. Definitely worth a look.

AncientMadder

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I drove through Pendleton, Oregon, a few weeks ago and stopped at the Pendleton store. Saw some nice blankets but no clothes that I would wear.

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
United States
NJ
Morristown
I'm torn about Pendleton. Living in the Poconos, I've got my fair share of older USA-made Pendleton shirts for the winter. By and large, the shirts that I have are good. Their Board Shirt is iconic, if you're of a certain age. Their Sir Pendletons are very good. I have a USA-made red-and-black wool mackinaw that is handed down from my dad. It is very good.

But production of their shirts went offshore a while back, and I don't really get a feeling that they're focused on their product. For example, I don't think they make a mackinaw anymore. Also, the multiple weights of shirting and the various shirt cuts are very confusing. The Board Shirt is loose and the Sirs are more trim. But it is hard to find anything on the web site that helps you find that information. My overall impression is that Pendleton is a shell of their former selves. If Filson is the standard and Woolrich is a lesser brand. Pendleton today is closer to Woolrich than to Filson.

I recently bought a Filson Original Wool Shirt (hecho en Mexico) and can safely say that the Filson is a much better product than the Pendletons (USA-made or otherwise). The wool is more tightly knit and the the resulting fabric is less itchy.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
My overall impression is that Pendleton is a shell of their former selves. If Filson is the standard and Woolrich is a lesser brand. Pendleton today is closer to Woolrich than to Filson.

I would agree with this. I only encounter Pendleton when thrifting, but, more and more, it's crap--the thrill of finding one is gone until inspection confirms it's old school. Just got back from thrifting and spotted a make-believe Pendleton shirt, cotton and crappy, with the iconic blue-and-yellow tag that said "Warranted to be authentic" then a "Made In Kenya" beneath. I almost bought it simply because I'd never seen anything like it, but if I did that with everything that was weird/unique, there would be no room to walk in my house.

Last edited:

Taken Aback

Advanced Member
United States
New York
New York
What about the sport coats? I've lusted after their black watch one (the true sportcoat cut, not the one with the western pockets, or the other lesser jacket), but have never actually handled one. Are they worse than I think?

CMDC

Honors Member
United States
DC
Washington
I've seen some older sport coats when thrifting and they weren't bad--darted, but pretty nice quality. That said, I've also seen one of their more recent models in store--an unconstructed, heavy wool tartan, 3/2.5 roll job. It just didn't work. The shape and cut was really odd--even though the shoulders had no padding, the cut still made them almost parallel to the ground. The jacket was like a perfect rectangle shape. Looked horrible.