LawSuits

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Pennsylvania
West Chester
My colleague just purchased a Filson jacket and it is my first exposure to their products. It is a very handsome jacket and I suspect he will have it for the rest of his life - the fabric seems first rate and so does the making. I have some old Pendleton stuff still in service and they were great garments.

boatswaindog

United States
Connecticut
Handen
Last summer I was preparing for winter and tried to find a made in USA wool blanket. I found that Williams Sonoma was offering a good price on the only American out there that I could find. After a month of use in New England I can highly recommend the Pendleton king sized satin lined on four edges wool blanket. I'm going to check out the fabric made in USA wool shirts.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I received a catalog and thought them worth a mention. Although some of the clothes are listed as 'imported', a fair amount of their traditional woolen clothing is listed as "imported made of USA fabric". America's oldest woolen mill is still making the traditional robes and woolen shirts in the traditional tartan patterns. And the blankets are all made in the USA. Definitely worth a look.
They ain't what they used to be. (But neither am I!)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Last summer I was preparing for winter and tried to find a made in USA wool blanket. I found that Williams Sonoma was offering a good price on the only American out there that I could find. After a month of use in New England I can highly recommend the Pendleton king sized satin lined on four edges wool blanket. I'm going to check out the fabric made in USA wool shirts.
I have little doubt they're very nice. Johnson Woolen Mills, Johnson Vt., also still makes serious wool blankets.

http://johnsonwoolenmills.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=blanket&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=0

Himself

United States
South Carolina
Myrtle Beach
I have Pendleton shirts old and new, including one that my mother bought for my father in 1960. Quality of all is similar. I've been wearing this stuff hard for 30 years and it has held up very well.

Filson stuff may be nicer, but it's also way more upmarket -- twice as expensive and then some.

Epaminondas

Just took delivery of a Filson Wool Mackinaw Cruiser style 110 in green; Liked it so much I orderd one in red/balck - both Made in USA. Still mulling on the Wool Tweed Clays Jacket......

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
United States
NJ
Morristown
I have Pendleton shirts old and new, including one that my mother bought for my father in 1960. Quality of all is similar. I've been wearing this stuff hard for 30 years and it has held up very well.

Filson stuff may be nicer, but it's also way more upmarket -- twice as expensive and then some.
If you compare the Filson to a Pendleton, then it's hard not to notice the appreciable difference between the two immediately. After buying my first Filson original wool shirt, I found it hard to go back to the Pendletons. The difference is that stark. It doesn't make the Pendletons bad. It's just that the Filson wool shirt is a great shirt.

Whether it is worth the additional expense, that's up to the buyer...

Mazama

United States
wa
Winthrop
If you compare the Filson to a Pendleton, then it's hard not to notice the appreciable difference between the two immediately. After buying my first Filson original wool shirt, I found it hard to go back to the Pendletons. The difference is that stark. It doesn't make the Pendletons bad. It's just that the Filson wool shirt is a great shirt.

Whether it is worth the additional expense, that's up to the buyer...
I'm a huge fan of (classic) Filson models and current Pendleton shirts.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the woolen Filson shirt you like so much was from Pendleton fabric in the same Mexican factory (not sure who owns it) that makes Pendleton shirts.

E.g., I've seen "Filson" fabric coming off the looms in Pendleton, OR.

Of course it's made to Filson specs which differ from Pendleton and sells for 30% more.

I'm a fan of current Pendleton "Fireside" (BDC), Sir Pendleton (BDC) and Trail shirts to wear underneath my Filson Jac-Shirt, #85 and #110s (all Seattle-made).

YoungClayB

United States
North Carolina
linville
Interesting that this thread popped back up. I just thrifted a Pendleton tweed jacket that is VERY nice. I'm going to get the sleeves shortened a hair and swap out the buttons. Look for it soon in the WAYWT thread! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
I am interested in this concept of "quality" that keeps popping up here with no specifics. How is it measured? Does someone actually get down with a strong lens and count the threads per inch? No one has shown any pictures of new garments with badly attached sleeves or missing buttons. Come on now, chaps, man up. What are you judging by?