zzdocxx

Honors Member
United States
California
San Diego
I guess this is a better place to post this rather than the ebay thread, anyway here goes:

I found these Pendleton Western Cut Sportcoats on ebay, comes in 4 colors with limited size selection, apparently they have been discontinued.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Western-...item641ffae351

Comes in black, blue, sand, and brown.

Some look like the yokes are leather and some not.What do you guys favor as far as color on these things?

Taken Aback

Advanced Member
United States
New York
New York
I recently contacted them in regards to the differing styles and variations of their tartan jackets and vests, and was sadly disappointed by their reply. They were simply not of help. They actually recommended I refer to eBay after I prefaced my inquiry with the fact I already did so. It would seem I'm far from the first to inquire about this.

To date, I recognize at three variations of tartan jackets, and two versions of vests/waistcoats, sizing up to at least 52". All of these were issued in Black Watch as well as a red tartan (which?). One of the jackets is a true sportcoat cut, another a variation with western pockets, and the third being their "Cruiser" with offset pattern patch pockets.

I'd love some more definitive information here, especially if there were other tartan variations in these styles.

Taken Aback

Advanced Member
United States
New York
New York
You said it yourself: they're western-style jackets. To me, they're costumes for Dallas.

Pendleton's non-western shirts and sport coats, being made in the USA, and of wool, seem to have trad status, but not Pendleton's entire product line.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
United States
California
San Diego
Yes you are right, I am not attempting to be trad and I live in California. Let's face it, different places are more accepting of different styles.

:icon_viking:

I'll be danged, I didn't even realize this Pendleton thread was in the trad forum, my bad! ! !

:redface:

I won't let it happen again.

:icon_hailthee:

G

Guest-375879

I'm torn about Pendleton. Living in the Poconos, I've got my fair share of older USA-made Pendleton shirts for the winter. By and large, the shirts that I have are good. Their Board Shirt is iconic, if you're of a certain age. Their Sir Pendletons are very good. I have a USA-made red-and-black wool mackinaw that is handed down from my dad. It is very good.

But production of their shirts went offshore a while back, and I don't really get a feeling that they're focused on their product. For example, I don't think they make a mackinaw anymore. Also, the multiple weights of shirting and the various shirt cuts are very confusing. The Board Shirt is loose and the Sirs are more trim. But it is hard to find anything on the web site that helps you find that information. My overall impression is that Pendleton is a shell of their former selves. If Filson is the standard and Woolrich is a lesser brand. Pendleton today is closer to Woolrich than to Filson.

I recently bought a Filson Original Wool Shirt (hecho en Mexico) and can safely say that the Filson is a much better product than the Pendletons (USA-made or otherwise). The wool is more tightly knit and the the resulting fabric is less itchy.
Except, of course, that Filson's wool is purchased from Pembleton.

Color 8

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
One's experience with Pendleton's wool products depends entirely on your choice of garment. Pendleton offers a wide selection of wool fabric ; dressier or more casual, more coarse or fine, machine-washable or dry-clean-only, 100% wool or wool blend with cotton, etc. etc.

some_dude

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
OR
Portland
I have to say, last year I had the privilege of visiting Pendleton's mill in, you know, Pendleton. It was quite remarkable. That mill primarily (entirely?) makes blankets, and then they have another mill in Washington which makes other products. Anything not wool is generally made in Asia, however.