Nathan Detroit

Riding the DC Metro the other day, I saw a fellow who had put pennies in the diamond slits in his penny loafers... Is that a grotesque fox paws, as George Wallace once said, or am I missing something?

tripreed

Advanced Member
United States
Alabama
Birmingham
Despite the fact that nearly 400 people have viewed this post and none have commented, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "Pennies in the holes in penny loafers? What else are the holes there for if not to stick pennies in them?"

maxnharry

United States
PA
Carlisle
The holes are there as a stylistic detail. You could stick toothpicks in the brogueing holes on shoes too. I think the pennies were fine when high school students wore loafers to school, but probably not ok if you work with other adults.

http://www.flappergirlfabrics.com

kforton

United States
Massachusetts
Boston
With a blazer or in a casual context, pennies in the loafers with some outrageous colored socks could be very tradly.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Nathan Detroit:

That was one of the afflictions when the original "Penny" Loafer style was introduced. Some history (from The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

Bass “Weejunsâ€: In 1876, George Henry Bass created the G.H. Bass shoe company, and in 1910 he introduced the camp “Moccâ€, a soft leather moccasin that challenged the hard dress shoes of the day. In 1936 the Bass Shoe Co introduced an adaptation of a Norwegian fisherman moccasin style shoe named “Weejun†combining “Norwegian†and “Injunâ€. Weejuns are also referred to as penny loafers because of a semi-pocket featured on the vamp, into which a penny can be slipped.

Penny loafers were as popular as saddle shoes in the 40’s and 50’s.

Maybe now with inflation you could wad up a $100 bill and stuff it in there (good for emergencies).

Andy
Help support this site Shop the Holiday Gift Guide!

bosthist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by Andy

Nathan Detroit:

That was one of the afflictions when the original "Penny" Loafer style was introduced. Some history (from The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

Bass “Weejunsâ€: In 1876, George Henry Bass created the G.H. Bass shoe company, and in 1910 he introduced the camp “Moccâ€, a soft leather moccasin that challenged the hard dress shoes of the day. In 1936 the Bass Shoe Co introduced an adaptation of a Norwegian fisherman moccasin style shoe named “Weejun†combining “Norwegian†and “Injunâ€. Weejuns are also referred to as penny loafers because of a semi-pocket featured on the vamp, into which a penny can be slipped.

Maybe now with inflation you could wad up a $100 bill and stuff it in there (good for emergencies).

Andy
Andy:

I had a friend in college (c. 1986) who used $100 bills, folded so that Franklin's eyes were staring at you.

Regards,

Charles

jmorgan32

Suspended
quote:Originally posted by Andy

Nathan Detroit:

Andy
Now that is funny! 100 dollar bill.
I do remember in high school we used dimes and our reasoning was if we needed to make an emergency phone call on a payphone.... Hell do payphones even exist anymore?

crazyquik

Dad recalls that as a young child in school, he looked up to the older kids (12-13 years old) who had penny loafers with pennies and metal heel taps.

They would run down the stone floor hallways then turn and slide on the floor and sparks would come off thier feet.

Later he did get a pair of penny loafers, with pennies, but the stone floors were long gone [V]

---------------------

Beware of showroom sales-fever reasoning: i.e., "for $20 . . ." Once you're home, how little you paid is forgotten; how good you look in it is all that matters.

bosthist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by crazyquik

Dad recalls that as a young child in school, he looked up to the older kids (12-13 years old) who had penny loafers with pennies and metal heel taps.

They would run down the stone floor hallways then turn and slide on the floor and sparks would come off thier feet.

Later he did get a pair of penny loafers, with pennies, but the stone floors were long gone [V]
I had a pair of Weejuns without metal heel taps but could get the same effect from the nails in the heels. A running start and one could slide down the hill near where I lived with sparks trailing. It was especially impressive at night. Good times...

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts