Claybuster

United States
Tennessee
Memphis
Ok, here's the deal. I have a pair of Weejuns that I wear to work, out to dinner, etc. I wanted to get an extra pair to knock around in. So, I went to one of our local thrift stores and picked up a pair of Bass Penny Loafers for $1.98. They are in great condition and I am thinking about putting pennies in them. I will wear them to knock around in. My question is...Is this too much of a stretch? Is it still appropriate to put pennies in the loafers? Was it ever appropriate? Keep in mind, I will not put pennies in my good pair, just knock-arounds. Any of you put pennies in yours?

Danny

Joe Tradly

Advanced Member
United States
VA
Alexandria
Buster, scroll to the bottom of this page, and you will find no fewer than three threads dedicated to this topic.

I think it's a great throwback affectation. I wouldn't do it myself, but I think you're in the clear for knock around shoes.

JB

Claybuster

United States
Tennessee
Memphis
Ooops! Sorry, I should have done a search. Thanks for the info.

Danny

SouthernBeau

Only If....

Danny,

Don't ask me why, but it only passes muster for me if 1.) they are to be used as knock arounds (you already satisfied that condition) ,and 2.) the pennies are marked with the year of your birth and have been cleaned to a nice shiny new.

Joshua

Claybuster

United States
Tennessee
Memphis
Danny,

Don't ask me why, but it only passes muster for me if 1.) they are to be used as knock arounds (you already satisfied that condition) ,and 2.) the pennies are marked with the year of your birth and have been cleaned to a nice shiny new.

Joshua
Hey...the year of my birth! Now, that's a good idea worth doing. Thanks.

Danny

Andy Roo

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Danny,

Joshua
My daddy always put dirty old pennies in his weejuns, so as not to attract attention.

jml90

United States
Pennsylvania
Wilkes Barre
See, I put dollar peices in mine so when people say nice penny loafers I say. "No these are Sacagawea loafers!"

vwguy

Honors Member
United States
WI
Oshkosh
I had Austrian coins in mine back in High School ;)

Brian

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Ahh Weejuns...Love your penny loafers but, can't stand your loafers, pennied! (winks) Great price on those weejuns, Claybuster.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts