apharis

Starting Member
Where does a POOR college student (poor being the operative word) find some penny loafers that aren't hard and stiff like Weejuns, but look halfway decent?

I'm looking for something somewhat soft right out of the box.

wnh

Advanced Member
United States
Missouri
Marshfield
If your conception of poor is the same as mine (as in, I'm-not-spending-even-$75-on-a-pair-of-shoes poor), I got a pair of Bass Chapmons on eBay for $30 shipped that have served me well. They're not shiny and plastic-y at all. You could check them out on the Bass website, but I think they're in the $75 range new.

I would imagine that some kind of Bass or Sebago offering on eBay would be your best bet for cheap shoes. I think Sperry makes a few penny loafers, too, if you wanted to check that out.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
United States
Connecticut
Lakeville
This Lands End model isn't bad for "soft out of the box." They have rubber inserts in the soles. I bought a pair for flying out west a year ago and have gotten considerable mileage in other circs.

And the overstocks price should be attractive.

Untilted

Honors Member
United States
New York
New York
Check out Quoddy's penny loafers.

I'm thinking about ordering a pair. However, my financial status isn't so helpful.

abc123

My opinion is that you should buy the cheapest thing you can get your hands on to get you through the next few months, then start saving for a pair of Aldens/AEs or something of the sort that will last you for many years. Amortize the cost of the shoes over their lifespan, and the cost is far less than buying a new pair of $50-75 shoes annually.

You won't regret paying next to nothing for a cheap pair of shoes or paying a reasonable amount for a pair of nice shoes. You will however regret paying for a pair of midgrade shoes that will only last you a year or so before they fall apart on you.

Puffdaddy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
You won't regret paying next to nothing for a cheap pair of shoes or paying a reasonable amount for a pair of nice shoes. You will however regret paying for a pair of midgrade shoes that will only last you a year or so before they fall apart on you.
I feel the same way about Italian restaurants :icon_smile_big:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Even cheap shoes should last a few years. Their life can be elongated by getting a cobbler to put the rubber on the soles, thus the stitching will never wear out. Mid-range shoes should last several years easily, assuming some sort of rotation.

Weejuns are still very classic in style, and, as I found when I dismantled a pair, they are very sturdily constructed. So I suggest, apharis, that you get a pair on sale or from Zappos. Actually, get two pairs and rotate them, and put rubber on the soles and they'll last several years. They may be a bit stiff at first, but regular use will soften them nicely and after a few months they'll feel like old friends.

Although I have poo-pooed "cheap glossy finishes" as much as anyone here, last week I found out that salt and snow stains just wipe off the gloss. That is an advantage, to be sure (if you live in snow country). So I am not so critical of gloss anymore.

I was looking at a book last night, a collection of photos of Steve McQueen. Near the end is a large photo of McQueen standing with the photographer, taken in 1964. The latter is clearly wearing Weejuns and I must say they look the same as today's Weejuns, including the thick un-lined leather and gloss, and proportions. Obviously given the date the shoes would have been made in Maine, but I suspect today's Weejuns are not quite so inferior as our memories suggest...

DD

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts