• Staff

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
No politics please, we're only looking at examples of men's fashion faux pas.

If you can see this, Candidate Buttigieg has his belt inserted backwards.:eek:
From the Belt Chapter of The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

Direction: Belts are inserted from right to left and go around the pants counterclockwise so that the tail is always at the left of front center. Just like you button your shirt or jacket (left to right). Some of the history behind this was due to the way right-handed knights put away their swords. See the chapter on buttons for more details.

Gig line -- Military tradition of having a straight line down your front that is made of the fold of the shirt placket, the belt buckle edge and the fold of the trouser fly.

The warping that may develop isn’t necessarily bad it’s just the belt adapting to your body curve. Leather belts will eventually get a curve, but don’t worry about it. That’s just an article of clothing adapting to your body, and there is nothing wrong with that. There is some advice that you should reverse the direction that you wear your belt periodically to avoid this warping. Not true.

The edge of the belt buckle, the edge of your shirt and the edge of you pants fly should all line up vertically. All these edges should face to your right.

The other faux pas:

The buckle tongue should fit into the center hole (usually #3 since most belts have five holes) so that the tail ends up just past the first loop on your pants.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
The belt doesn't bother me. What he needs are trousers that are cut slightly fuller in the hips, and with a rise that is 1.25 to 1.5 inches higher. And a shirt that has a moderately-spread collar. And a necktie that isn't so close in color to the color of his trousers.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
He’s left handed. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Of all of the male dems in the race, he probably has the best physique and can look the best is properly tailored clothing.

• Staff

Andy

Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert

Of all of the male dems in the race, he probably has the best physique and can look the best is properly tailored clothing.
Maybe but it should not matter!

• Staff

Andy

Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
The belt doesn't bother me. What he needs are trousers that are cut slightly fuller in the hips, and with a rise that is 1.25 to 1.5 inches higher. And a shirt that has a moderately-spread collar. And a necktie that isn't so close in color to the color of his trousers.
So why aren't all these candidates not asking us for advice! ?? :confused:

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Maybe but it should not matter!
Assuming he doesn’t understand the “rules” I suppose it just makes sense for him to do so. He wears his watch on the right like many lefties (no pun intended) do. It’s probably what comes naturally.

medhat

United States
Wisconsin
Madison
From that picture, I don't appreciate the pants has being either not full enough or too low a rise (for his physique). And as one who owns too many a point collar shirt that's nowadays too narrow, Mayor Pete's shirt fits my definition of "moderately spread", certainly in comparison to an "English spread" collar. (do you have an example of what you consider moderate?) And as far as the necktie, I don't have issues with the color, but "by the book" I think it's a touch too long (although not nearly as long as that seen on other politicians who shall remain nameless). I know more than a few lefties, this is the first I've ever seen of a person who wears their belts the southpaw way; that's a great pickup.

But overall, Mayor Pete dresses pretty well, punching above average for a politician.

Semper Jeep

United States
Michigan
Bloomfield Hills

I'm a lefty and I used to belt my trousers that way until I joined the Marines and they beat that habit out of me.

I was going to say that I'm surprised that Buttigieg, being a military man himself, still belts his trousers that way... but Navy.... o_O :p

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I'm a lefty and I used to blet my trousers that way until I joined the Marines and they beat that habit out of me.

I was going to say that I'm surprised that Buttigieg, being a military man himself, still belts his trousers that way... but Navy.... o_O :p
He’s a rebel! Stickin’ it to the Man!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
United States
California
San Francisco
From that picture, I don't appreciate the pants has being either not full enough or too low a rise (for his physique).
His trousers aren't bad, but I think the changes I suggested would make them better. (If, when Buttigieg dons and buttons his suit jacket, there's no hint of the "Triangle of Death," then I guess the rise issue is moot. The pants still look a little tight in the abdomen to me.)

And as one who owns too many a point collar shirt that's nowadays too narrow, Mayor Pete's shirt fits my definition of "moderately spread", certainly in comparison to an "English spread" collar. (do you have an example of what you consider moderate?)
I don't have a photo, but what I have in mind is something like what Brooks Brothers calls its "Ainsley" collar.

But overall, Mayor Pete dresses pretty well, punching above average for a politician.
I agree.