Pete Buttigieg's belt!

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Andy, May 21, 2019.

1. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Yep, probably knows the convention.

2. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Perhaps it does. I too am a south paw and I also wear my wristwatch on my right wrist, as does Buttigieg, to avoid the added struggles of putting it on my left wrist. However, I do don my belts from right to left. I thought it was the gals who put their belts on left to right...yes, no? :icon_scratch:

3. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I think you are correct - women put their belts on left to right and maybe their buttons are opposite? (don't know for sure - no personal experience here wearing women's clothing!)

4. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    ^^
    If you have bought or do buy a British made coat/jacket, they button-up as do the women's tops/jackets on this side of the Pond, you may/do have personal experience. At least that was the case with my Gloverall and my three Baracuta /G9 jackets.

5. mreams99

mreams99 Senior Member

United States
    Ohio
    Marysville
    I don’t consider this a faux pas. Most belts are sold in 2” increment sizing, so it’s not unreasonable to have a belt buckled one notch either side of the center hole. And considering the differing thicknesses of different trousers and shirts, there will always be some variance. (This doesn’t even account for slight weight fluctuations.)
    A perfect fit? No, it’s not.
    A faux pas? I don’t think so.

UteLawyer and Matt S like this.
  6. Barrister & Solicitor

Barrister & Solicitor Super Member

Canada
    Québec
    Montréal
    I've always worn my belt from left to right. I have a pair of Samuelsohn pants that have a belt buckle loop to keep it in place and the only way it can work is if the belt goes in from the left (the buckle will be on the left of the pants' opening).

On the other hand, I have a US military trench coat and it's meant to buckle the other way (that's the only it can be attached because of buttons in the back that hold the belt in place). Yet, it buttons on the usual side.

I've never felt my Gloverall fastens on the "wrong" side.

7. momsdoc

momsdoc Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Ocean
    You may just have explained to me an oddity of my Spier and Mackey duffle coat. It buttons like a woman’s coat. I could never understand why it did so. While purchased on deep discount, it wasn’t a seconds. I was tempted to return it, thinking it was a defect, but there were no others available as it was off season, and I didn’t want to lose the tremendous deal I got on it. So as awkward as it is to perform the task backwards on such a thick heavy coat, I sucked it up and wear it as is.

Now I find that it might have been intentional if those Canucks are following a British tradition.

eagle2250 likes this.
  8. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    When discussing "rules," I am reminded of an excellent post by a former member (perhaps retired is a better term) Cuff Daddy. (Short summary: rules, convention, preference). Although I admit that convention is to go right to left (counterclockwise looking from above), I recognize this primarily is a "rule" for right handed people. Accordingly, since this only affects the individual wearing the belt, I am more inclined to suggest that the contrary direction is simply more of a natural preference for a left handed individual. In the same way, I think it is reasonable to understand why left handed individuals prefer to wear their wristwatch on their right arm.

Mike Petrik and eagle2250 like this.
  9. mlenecare

mlenecare Starting Member

United States
    illinois
    lemont
    I had always heard that buttons on women’s clothes were the opposite direction because in day gone by their dresses were so big and complex that they couldn’t dress themselves and so the buttons were situated to make it easier for their maids to button them in and out. No idea if there is any truth to that though.

Ive noticed that several men’s jackets from japan that I have had buttoned or zipped the women’s direction.

Also some belts must be worn from right to left for the tab to face left because of the way the belt loops through the buckle. This is the case with some military belts

10. eagle2250

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    Egad, it's getting complicated. Perhaps the rule should be, "to each his/her own!" I also never felt my Gloverall fastened on the wrong side, but rather that it fastened the way the Brits did things...which was OK by me. Alas, we we migrated to the deep south, I gave my beloved Gloverall to my brother-in-law who lives in Michigan. :(