Pete Buttigieg's belt!

Barrister & Solicitor

Canada
Québec
Montréal
As far as my Gloverall goes I'm almost sure the toggles are on the right side and go into the loop things which are on the left side.

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
He’s left handed. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I'm left handed and wear my belt the same way. I would bet being left handed is why he wears his belt like that.

I also wear my watches on my right wrist.

I refuse to do something inconvenient/uncomfortable simply because the "rules" are designed for right handers.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I'm left handed and wear my belt the same way. I would bet being left handed is why he wears his belt like that.

I also wear my watches on my right wrist.

I refuse to do something inconvenient/uncomfortable simply because the "rules" are designed for right handers.
Fortunately, being left handed is not seen as a handicap - I mean disability - I mean socially disadvantaged?! Otherwise we would have to change all our doors to open either way. Given that the majority of people are right handed it makes perfect sense for society as a whole to patronize to those individuals. However, I agree that when doing something that only affects the individual it makes little sense to turn natural preferences into rules. As an aside, dominance can be relearned - the brain is fairly plastic and most lefties actually do things pretty well righty. I think most of us could learn to do lots of things with our left hand - shave, brush our teeth, etc...

Last edited:

Hebrew Barrister

United States
texas
yourmomtown
Fortunately, being left handed is not seen as a handicap - I mean disability - I mean socially disadvantaged?! Otherwise we would have to change all our doors to open either way. Given that the majority of people are right handed it makes perfect sense for society as a whole to patronize to those individuals. However, I agree that when doing something only affects the individual it makes little sense to turn natural preferences into rules. As an aside, dominance can be relearned - the brain is fairly plastic and most lefties actually do things pretty well righty. I think most of us could learn to do lots of things with our left hand - shave, brush our teeth, etc...
Forgive me if I sounded salty. Since I've been a lefty for my entire life, I've adapted to living in a righty world. I even use scissors and a mouse with my right hand. I don't even notice the fact I'm wrong handed more than once every few weeks.

I could clearly put my belt in the other way, but I've always just done what seemed natural. I assume anyone observant enough to notice my belt would also notice my watch on my right wrist, deduce that I'm a lefty, and forgive me for this egregious breach of sartorial protocol.

The one I would never consider doing is wearing a watch on my left wrist. It would get in the way. Would you want to wear a watch on your right wrist?

The one thing I really seem unable to do well with my right hand is write. I can even throw and bat ok righty. But writing? It's slow and messy.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
Forgive me if I sounded salty. Since I've been a lefty for my entire life, I've adapted to living in a righty world. I even use scissors and a mouse with my right hand. I don't even notice the fact I'm wrong handed more than once every few weeks.

I could clearly put my belt in the other way, but I've always just done what seemed natural. I assume anyone observant enough to notice my belt would also notice my watch on my right wrist, deduce that I'm a lefty, and forgive me for this egregious breach of sartorial protocol.

The one I would never consider doing is wearing a watch on my left wrist. It would get in the way. Would you want to wear a watch on your right wrist?

The one thing I really seem unable to do well with my right hand is write. I can even throw and bat ok righty. But writing? It's slow and messy.
Makes me think I should start wearing my watch on my right wrist just to see how long it takes to get used to it. No apologies needed by the way - I agree with you - it makes sense to me that lefties get to put their belts on with their left hands even if it isn't the convention. Not the same as suddenly deciding that driving on the left side of the road makes sense because you are left handed - driving on the right certainly needs to be a convention and a rule (at least in the states).

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^"It makes sense to me that lefties get to put their belts on with their left hands, even if it isn't the convention!"

What you are suggesting Sir, is sartorial anarchy! :crazy: LOL. ;)

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Indiana
Bloomington
I think this needs to become a catchphrase expressing surprise a la:
Commissioner Gordon on Batman: "Great Caesar's Ghost!"
And the Car Talk guys: "Tara Lipniski's Tutu!"

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
^^"It makes sense to me that lefties get to put their belts on with their left hands, even if it isn't the convention!"

What you are suggesting Sir, is sartorial anarchy! :crazy: LOL. ;)
Sorry - usually I am a sartorial rule follower but on the belt thing I feel like this "rule" is one I am willing to bend on. There are lots of things that Mr. Buttigieg and I do not and will not agree on; however, his belt rotation is one I can easily overlook!