Fading Fast

Connoisseur
As I sit at the keyboard paying our electric bill, I can't help but wonder what it might cost to cool, heat and light the nest pictured in the post quoted above? Perhaps solar panels are an option. ;)
You do that too. I'll be watching a show where someone has a giant NYC loft apartment (or some other large place with high ceilings) and, even though the plot is about murder or some family drama or something, I'll be thinking, "my God, the utility bills must be insane for that place."

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I've seen some documentaries on Country Houses and the current lords/ladies of the manor have to get pretty inventive to answer your question. One toff converted his heating system to wood chips and runs the entire estate off the off cuts of the forestry.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Unrelated. Anybody know where I can get me a pair o'carved, reverse painted cuff links? I'm nearing the end and to own, even a single, carved, reverse painted cuff link is on my bucket list. At number 638, some other stuff coming first.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I've seen some documentaries on Country Houses and the current lords/ladies of the manor have to get pretty inventive to answer your question. One toff converted his heating system to wood chips and runs the entire estate off the off cuts of the forestry.
I have an old friend who's a prince (of an old Bohemian family); he grew up in Vienna, in the Palais Schwarzenberg (you'd know it if you're familiar with Vienna). He's just shy of 60 (I think 58 this year), so he would have been "a kid" in the 60s and 70s, and he commented that in winter, most of the palace could be in the 40s (F). Sweaters and coats required; the most-inhabited rooms would be better warmed.

But still, how cool to grow up in a palace! Imagine the hiding spots, and forgotten rooms to explore.

These days, the family operates part of the palace as a hotel, in large measure to offset cost of ownership of the property as a whole. Lovely place!

DH

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I have an old friend who's a prince (of an old Bohemian family); he grew up in Vienna, in the Palais Schwarzenberg (you'd know it if you're familiar with Vienna). He's just shy of 60 (I think 58 this year), so he would have been "a kid" in the 60s and 70s, and he commented that in winter, most of the palace could be in the 40s (F). Sweaters and coats required; the most-inhabited rooms would be better warmed.

But still, how cool to grow up in a palace! Imagine the hiding spots, and forgotten rooms to explore.

These days, the family operates part of the palace as a hotel, in large measure to offset cost of ownership of the property as a whole. Lovely place!

DH
That's a pretty standard solution and what I'd do if I were in their place. Of course, I'd have to add a 5-star restaurant to it, just 'cause.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
With all the news coming out of (the other) Portland, was curious that you hadn't commented before. But this one made up for it.
Alas, there is a very thin line between peaceful demonstrations and riots. Given the demonstrators increasing seen carrying guns, molotov cocktails, etc. to the party, it appears these supposed peaceful demonstrators are frequently crossing that line and that changes the nature of the appropriate response! :icon_scratch:;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Alas, there is a very thin line between peaceful demonstrations and riots. Given the demonstrators increasing seen carrying guns, molotov cocktails, etc. to the party, it appears these supposed peaceful demonstrators are frequently crossing that line and that changes the nature of the appropriate response! :icon_scratch:;)
The demonstrations were on the verge of petering out and the total of the 'vandalism' on the Federal Building consisted of some graffiti. Then the Feds showed up and escalated things to a whole new level. Now we have riots but exactly who the 'rioters' are is hard to determine.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The demonstrations were on the verge of petering out and the total of the 'vandalism' on the Federal Building consisted of some graffiti. Then the Feds showed up and escalated things to a whole new level. Now we have riots but exactly who the 'rioters' are is hard to determine.
My friend, you are a wise man and I greatly respect your judgement, but the news coverage I've seen showing the three scorch marks on the Federal Courthouse, intermixed with the graffiti you mention and the collection of bricks, rocks and other debris shown in the news coverage of the events suggests that not everyone showed up to peacefully demonstrate. Watching the news coverage of such events in many communities throughout this troubled Country of ours I have seen a whole lot of property damage, buildings destroyed and entire contents of stores being stolen by those peace loving boys and girls, statues being pulled down and inartfully disposed of(and I don't mean just Confederate statues) with multiple ropes and a pickup truck, I'm just not sure these demonstrators ever had any serious intention of staying peaceful! Well, I guess that's enough said. I hope this doesn't offend you and/or any of our membership, but it is the way I feel.:(

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.