Scribble

Starting Member
Hey guys,
I found this suit on sale at Dillards for $240. The jacket and waist fit well, but I wondered if the pin striping was too much. How broad is too broad? What about the spacing of the stripes? I need feedback and guidelines. Thanks in advance!

Dr Kilroy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I must say that I quite like this stripe. Actually, it's something between pinstripe and chalkstripe. I think that Sator (or maybe someone else) has made a stripes guide.

Best regards, Dr

Scribble

Starting Member
I must say that I quite like this stripe. Actually, it's something between pinstripe and chalkstripe. I think that Sator (or maybe someone else) has made a stripes guide.

Best regards, Dr
Thanks, Doc! I will look there. Chalkstripe, I have learned something new. Done for the day. :)

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
It's a fancy pinstripe (like a pinstripe with a shadow) on a herringbone ground. I wouldn't say it's close to a chalkstripe. A true chalkstripe is a thick stripe on a flannel. Chalkstripes are usually spaced wider than pinstripes. There are also rope stripes which are thick stripes on a twill fabric.

Peak and Pine

Honors Member
United States
Maine
Mars Hill
And too, true chalk stripe is not just a thick stripe of lighter colored thread, but a thick stripe woven in such a way as to resemble an actual chalk mark.

Racer

United States
Tennessee
Nashville
I like it.

Now for the feedback: the "rule" I was taught is that a suit is more of a canvas than a painting. You use it to highlight furnishings and features. So, if the suit has a very pronounced pattern, it may overwhelm everything else. Like all "rules," there is a lot of leeway and ability to take artistic license. I try to steer toward stripes or patterns that are subtle enough that you can't really see the specifics if you are on the other side of a room. So for me, the test would be - walk 15 feet away, and look at the suit. If the stripes still catch your eye or stand out, it's "too much," unless that is the effect you're going for.

The other "rule" is that when you have colored stripes or patterns in a suit, you really limit what you can wear with that suit from a shirt/tie color standpoint.

harvey_birdman

United States
Pennsylvania
Hawley
It's not bad, but I don't know where it would be appropriate to wear. I don't think it would be appropriate for business wear.

mateo

If it's a black pinstripe (appears to be from the pic), carefully consider where you might wear such a suit. If you don't have much else in your closet, I'd say you're better off spending a little more to get a basic like a navy or charcoal solid. As for the pinstripe width, I believe that 3/8" - 7/8" is a good rule of thumb for spacing.

StephenRG

Honors Member
United States
New York
Merrick
Definite thumbs up - IMO if you're going to wear stripes, wear stripes not some weak and feeble cousin of a real gentleman's stripe ;)

joeyb1000

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NJ
Warren
I like it. It's probably a bit more subdued that you might think.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts