[Poll] Black suit for daily business rotation?

• Yay

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 32 86.5%

• Total voters

akwmek

United States
georgia
atlanta
I've heard two conflicting opinions, and I wonder what you guys think.

One group says that black is reserved strictly for funeral, black tie event, and other very formal occasions.

The other group says that while black is less versatile than navy or charcoal, it is perfectly fine for business setting as long as shirt and tie bring some color and pattern.

Black suits - yay or nay?

Hockey Tom

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Anchorage, AK
United States
Alaska
Anchorage
You will find little love for black suits around here-- and absolutely none for black suits in a business environment.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
United States
California
Palm Desert
Black suits for men which have not been acceptable traditionally for daytime business have been gaining some ground. Mainly due to women wearing them for business (makes them look more powerful) and young people who aren't familiar with the historical rules.

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
As I write this I look at the iTailor add featuring a gentleman wearing a black suit, shirt, and tie.

I think this completely exemplifies the look I would avoid. I like black clothing in the correct setting and have some black slacks, a black blazer, a black suit and quite a few black shoes. I think black can be worn in the work place and even in a business setting but carefully. Clearly there are occupations in which it is de rigueur and I am excluding this as well as entertainment professions where is can fly. As a business suit rotation I think it is very stark but can look good on high contrast complexions and indeed it is a favored color in asian markets (dark hair, fair skin). I think for most people it should be avoided so I voted no in the poll but it depends. Interestingly with the right color shirt, tie, and PS I am always surprised at how many compliments I get when I wear black.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Navy is the new (and acceptable) black to include in your suit rotation. :cool:

ThomGault

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NC
Charlotte
As others have mentioned, location and complexion matter.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts