[Poll] Black suit for daily business rotation?

• Yay

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 32 86.5%

• Total voters

Orsini

Honors Member
United States
California
Lawndale
Black suits are good for evening social. It might be OK to have one in your secondary business rotation but I wouldn't want the world to see it more than once every two weeks. And generally not for interviews but for less formal days at the office.

richard warren

United States
Louisiana
covington
I have no opinion against black suits, and it seems to me the attitude against them is of recent manufacture, but I have to say I wore a black sports coat the other day and a guy went out of his way to say I looked "sombre."

In most businesses, it's probably best not to stick out on any way that might be perceived as negative.

In the land of the blind, best be ready to pluck your eyes out.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
I have no opinion against black suits, and it seems to me the attitude against them is of recent manufacture, but I have to say I wore a black sports coat the other day and a guy went out of his way to say I looked "sombre."

In most businesses, it's probably best not to stick out on any way that might be perceived as negative.

My father taught me the 'black suit is only for an undertaker' rule when I was growing up in the 1990s. It was something he was taught from a young age too, so this attitude is not of recent manufacture.

FiscalDean

United States
WI
Elcho
I've heard two conflicting opinions, and I wonder what you guys think.

One group says that black is reserved strictly for funeral, black tie event, and other very formal occasions.

There are those among us who would say even black tie attire should should exclude a black tux. Midnight navy is preferred.

Navy is a good choice for a funeral.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I have no opinion against black suits, and it seems to me the attitude against them is of recent manufacture...
Brooks Brothers did not even offer solid black suits as RTW until sometime early this century. Cringing at the thought that their establishment caved to the fashion desires of the young and ignorant, the older and most knowledgeable sales clerks still scoff at them.

Orsini

Honors Member
United States
California
Lawndale

What do you mean by "recent?"

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga
I talked to someone today who has been in the retail men's clothing business for 50 years. He told me that about 5 years ago black was a favored color for suits as well as black sports jackets. Now he says charcoal gray is the number one color and he doesn't even have a black sports jacket in his store. So thats just another data point. I would have thought navy was the most popular color!

akwmek

United States
georgia
atlanta
wow, the response is more overwhelming than i thought!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts