• Plain toe

• Wingtip

Results are only viewable after voting.

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Though I can't for the life of me understand why one would restrict oneself to one pair of shoes and I'm not even a serious shoe fan. momsdoc and Roger P must both be scratching their heads.
I don't think he was suggesting just one pair of dress shoes. Rather, just one pair of black oxfords....which is exactly how many pair I own. And it's a cap toe.

Lukan

UK
Essex
Loughton
I get a nice hearty feeling from cap-toes. A style that has stood the test of time. Plain-toes are too... plain and wing-tips are a bit ritzy for me. A splash of broguing is as much as I'm willing to decorate I'm afraid.

I think on the whole topic of black-tie, I think having a 'weird pair of cap-toes' at the two black-tie events in a year is more preferable to the 'weird pair of plain-toes' you wear every day to a job. That is of course if we're just talking about black shoes. (then again I habitually stare at the shoes of people working in the City of London whilst on trains to see if they're up to snuff so maybe I'm persnickety :))

JBierly

Advanced Member
United States
Tennessee
Chattanooga

I just don't consider these weird plain toes. But I get it how people like cap toes over a plain toe oxford.

Or something like this - I actually wore this exact pair today. I didn't feel weird. They are plain but look pretty nice with charcoal slacks.

JRK77

United States
Texas
Dallas
I own two pair of black shoes. An AE Park Ave cap toe, and the shoes I was married in--AE Copley patent leather plain toe. All of my other shoes are some shade of burgundy or brown. To me, the formality of black seems to clash with a wing tip style--I don't see the point. Unless you need patent leather shoes, I think black cap toe is all you need in black. That's "fwiw," because I'm still rather new at this myself

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
The black plain-stitched cap-toe is easily the most versatile choice. Plain-toe oxfords look a little odd to me (but I have the AE Carlyle) unless they are wholecuts. I prefer a plain-toe style in a derby or monk. The cap-toe oxford without any brogueing works well with and blue or grey suit, and I think it's perfectly okay for black tie. I've come to believe that a cap-toe is equally correct for black tie as a plain-toe.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
A cap-toe. Why? Because your survey didn't allow me to choose "all of the above!" ;)

jjohnson

Starting Member
Cap-toe is the most versatile. That said I find I prefer a wingtip most days or a variation, A.E. Strand or the McAllister in Oxblood. Perhaps it is the Scottish genes.