[Poll] Which one of these dress shoes would be the best?

Which one of these dress shoes would be the best?

• Johnston & Murphy

• Cole Haan

• Florsheim

Results are only viewable after voting.

akwmek

United States
georgia
atlanta
I'm looking for a pair of dress shoes that will be my go-to.

Some qualities I'm looking for are,
- Black oxford
- Versatile, for both occasions and outfit
- Around $100 or under
- Durable and comfortable
- Last 2+ years with tons of wear, but also with regular care and shoe tree

After some searching, I came up with three candidates,
- Johnston & Murphy
- Cole Haan
- Florsheim

Which of those three would be the best pick, and why?

Thank you!

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
None. Why?

The soles make these shoes inherently casual. Why not go with brown instead. There's really nothing versatile about those shoes. Issues of durability, etc. are moot for me. It stops and ends with my initial concern.

As for comfort, you're the only one who can be the judge of that. They're your feet, not ours.

drlivingston

Connoisseur
United States
of
America
Currently released? None... However, each of these brands made great shoes in the past. They all had made in the USA lines that were very well made and highly respected. The current issues are cheap, in price and quality. You would be better served investing in a better pair of shoes. Your feet will thank you. I am sorry if this isn't the info that you were trying to find. I just wanted to be honest.

ItalianStyle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Canada
Ontario
Cambridge
If you're looking for an Oxford, why are you linking to a Derby (the Cole Haan and the Florsheim - I can't open the J&M link)?

Jgarner197

Post Falls, Idaho
United States
Idaho
Post Falls
I would vote for none of the above linked shoes. All of the shoes as previously stated are more casual and not oxfords but derbys. If you are set on one of these three brands, I would suggest the Johnston and Murphy “Melton” Oxford or the Cole Haan Grand Captoe oxford. Both are balmoral and a true oxford. They may not be of the highest quality or construction but can often be found for close to $100 on sale. Here is a link to them on the Nordstrom site. https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/johnston-murphy-melton-oxford-men/2787956

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-harrison-grand-cap-toe-oxford-men/4653784

My advice would be to save your money and increase your budget for a more quality constructed pair of dress shoes.

Last edited:

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
Versatile, for both occasions and outfit

What exactly do you mean by this?

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Versatile, for both occasions and outfit

What exactly do you mean by this?
My guess is that he, in a very clumsy way, is trying to say that he is looking for shoes that are versatile for a range of occasions and outfits.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
My guess is that he, in a very clumsy way, is trying to say that he is looking for shoes that are versatile for a range of occasions and outfits.
Doesn’t that evoke the usual response?........Chukkas.

None of the posted shoes are worth the shipping charge or tax, let alone the purchase price.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Doesn’t that evoke the usual response?........Chukkas.

None of the posted shoes are worth the shipping charge or tax, let alone the purchase price.
Lest I sound like Cato the Elder:

"Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed"

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
None of those three options is an oxford. Nor are any of the three particularly good quality. I would first understand what style of shoe you are really after, and then seek some better quality options.