fred johnson

United States
ct
west haven
Stopped by my local Marshall's with the wife and spotted these Polo golf wool blazers, $79. 3/2 rool, darted, 3 patch pockets. Fit is a little strange as I normally wear a 42L and tried on a 44R which was long enough in sleeves and length but I could barely button the middle button. A try-on is a must as the fit is a little different; more or less a slim fit in my opinion. Not for me but a economical wardrobe staple if one is in the market.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Lucky you that you have that type of stuff at your Marshalls. The few times I've been in one I've never spotted such goods, let alone the purple label stuff alluded to by others.

Yes, the Polo cut is quite slim and the differential is about right. I find myself having to size up to a 40 or even a 42 short with RL merchandise.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
United States
illinois
springfield
It's either sheer luck or sheer persistence. If you are persistent, however, you will get lucky.

I've always found RL to have weird sizing.

Lucky you that you have that type of stuff at your Marshalls. The few times I've been in one I've never spotted such goods, let alone the purple label stuff alluded to by others.

Yes, the Polo cut is quite slim and the differential is about right. I find myself having to size up to a 40 or even a 42 short with RL merchandise.

alkydrinker

United States
Maryland
Baltimore
yeah, it's weird how very high-end stuff can appear at Marshalls. A couple months ago I saw a Made in England Ralph Lauren tweed SC (size 42R) that was priced at like $1,200 - the "regular price" on tag was over $2K I believe. It was just sitting on one of their poorly organized racks...there was an extra security tag run through it, but that's it. It seems like it should've been behind glass with try-on by request only, so someone doesn't spill something on it, or drag it under a cart, or something. I do wonder how it was sent to a Baltimore-area store, where everything tends to be a bit ghetto.

My one Marhsalls hit (at the same store as the RL tweed) was a BB Fitzgerald SC, half canvassed, with a pleasing/versatile Thomas Mason cloth for like $129.00. The other bonus on it was that it amazingly needed zero alterations (I've found that the various Fitz jackets do not fit the same at all, but this one somehow fits me perfect.)

Because of the hope inspired by that BB jacket, I'll stop in occasionally but generally leave empty handed. I've seen some made-in-USA Hart suits that were ok...lately they've also had some made-in-Italy unstructured knit blazers, but they don't fit me.

To anyone local, I am talking about the Towson Marshalls. I once stopped in the Pikesville store, thinking it might be great if it caters to the suit-wearing Orthodox Jewish crowd, but the stock was terrible, much worse than Towson.

Last edited:

clark_kent

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
New York
Staten Island
I can't see the posted images for some reason, but judging by the replies it sounds like you scored big!

I'll like to include TJ Maxx in your sheer persistence list. I've found BB (made in USA) oxfords for about the $30s range. There were also R.L. Polo and vineyard vines cords. I've never stumbled on "good" sport coats tho. But like you said, sheer persistent and maybe visits every 2 weeks. Burlington Coat Factory is another option to keep on your list.

Unfortunately these sites don't have online shopping available!

drlivingston

Connoisseur
United States
of
America
In the past year at Marshalls, I have found:
Brioni
Ralph Lauren (Purple & Black labels)
Santoni
Harris Tweed for Rag & Bone
Kiton
Brunello Cucinelli
Vineyard Vines
Salvatore Ferragamo
Testoni
Gucci
Armani (the good stuff)
Dior Homme (again... the good stuff)
Versace
Comme des Garcons
Charvet
Stefano Ricci
Turnbull & Asser
Ermenegildo Zegna
etc. etc.

orange fury

Connoisseur
United States
Texas
Houston
TJ Maxx and Marshalls got me hooked on RLPL. My TJ Maxx now carries a crap ton of Brioni, RLBL, and some Zegna, but way to fashion-y on all counts. Good RLPL stuff every couple weeks or so

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
In the past year at Marshalls, I have found:
Brioni
Ralph Lauren (Purple & Black labels)
Santoni
Harris Tweed for Rag & Bone
Kiton
Brunello Cucinelli