POW check vs. Glen plaid

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by qasimkhan, Jul 16, 2006.

1. qasimkhan

qasimkhan Senior Member

Is there a difference between

Prince of Wales check
    Glen plaid
    Glen check?

Do they all have the same distinctive pattern of dark and light (often black and white) plaid of tiny patterns with a colored overcheck? Or does one lack the overcheck?

(I just got a new suit made of such material, and I don't know what to call it.)

Steve

2. whistle_blower71

whistle_blower71 Super Member

I am probably wrong but...

I always thought PoW check was named after Edward VII who wore the Glen Urquhart check cloth for sporting activities. I do not think it was a specially milled design.
    I think a glen check is the same as a glen plaid.
    I have always been led to believe that a PoW check has a "guarded" over check rather than a central one.

PoW check is often associated with Edward VIII as he wore it and made it popular but he makes it quite clear in "A Family Album" that his grandad should get the credit!

3. qasimkhan

qasimkhan Senior Member

By "guarded" overcheck, do you mean one that runs where the pattern changes instead of down the center of a pattern?

Steve

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Advanced Member

I believe that the most of the time the difference between the what is referred to as glen plaid/check and POW check is the difference between the evening and morning stars.

If there is an overcheck, as whistle blower mentioned, POW can have an overcheck without being called, 'POW plaid with an ___ overcheck.' While a glen plaid with an overcheck is usually called just that.

5. whistle_blower71

whistle_blower71 Super Member

Correct

6. manton

manton Arbiter CBDum

Glen plaid and glen check are simply short (and interchangeable) names for glenurquhart plaid (or check), perhaps the most famous and popular of all the Scottish "district checks."

This is often called "prince of wales" plaid because if it's popularity with the PoW who became Edward VIII. However, there is a true "prince of wales" plaid, which is a specific version of glen plaid. It's large in scale, the colors are rust, cream, and dark gray, and it has a dark blue border check. You don't see it often, and it is striking. I seem to recall that, according to the strictest rules of propriety, you have to be Prince of Wales to wear it. Or a member of his household. Or something like that.

7. medwards

medwards Honored Professor<br>Moderator, All Forums

United States
    DC
    Washington
    Indeed, the term Prince of Wales check (or plaid) is very widely -- albeit incorrectly -- used to denote Glen Urquhart and similar checks with a colored overcheck. That this association should exist isn't surprising inasmuch as the Duke of Windsor favoured these designs (particularly in black and white) and wore them quite often whilst still Prince of Wales. It is my understanding, however, that the actual PoW check actually goes back to another Price of Wales, who would become Edward VII, and who is said to have created this pattern as livery when shooting on his grounds in Scotland. It is a rather large pattern with original colours of red and brown with an off-white or cream background and a blue/grayish overcheck. I've posted an image on this Forum previously and will try to find the link and post it here as well.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  8. Bertie Wooster

Bertie Wooster Super Member

This may help:
    POW Check from Holland & Sherry
    [​IMG]

Glen Check from Holland & Sherry
    [​IMG]

Edit: Sorry Medwards, just saw that you were looking for a link yourself. Wasn't trying to pip you too the post !

9. medwards

medwards Honored Professor<br>Moderator, All Forums

United States
    DC
    Washington
    It should be noted that Holland & Sherry use the terms Glen check and Prince of Wales check interchangably, refering to any colour and weave check effect in which 2-and-2 twill weave is used in conjunction with a compound of 2-and-2 with 4-and-4 colouring.

10. sam

sam Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Which Holland and Sherry book has the PoW check as described by medwards and what is the swatch number?: "red and brown with an off-white or cream background and a blue/grayish overcheck." Is it the second swatch posted by Bertie Wooster entitled "Glen Check from Holland and Sherry?