Preventing Excessive Pinpoint Wrinkling

superpacker

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Florida
NAPLES
I am fine with a little wrinkling, usually don't even press my ocbd's just catch them right out of the dryer. But is it just me or does pinpoint wrinkle a lot! I don't want non-iron shirts, and don't like professional laundering (makes me feel like I'm renting my shirt) so is there any way to prevent excessive wrinkling when ironing this cloth (a little is okay)? I'm new to pinpoint, but the 2 pinpoints I have (PRL) look rough whenever I take my jacket off, even if I ironed it.

Eric W S

United States
Illinois
Chicago
I am fine with a little wrinkling, usually don't even press my ocbd's just catch them right out of the dryer. But is it just me or does pinpoint wrinkle a lot! I don't want non-iron shirts, and don't like professional laundering (makes me feel like I'm renting my shirt) so is there any way to prevent excessive wrinkling when ironing this cloth (a little is okay)? I'm new to pinpoint, but the 2 pinpoints I have (PRL) look rough whenever I take my jacket off, even if I ironed it.
They will wrinkle without starch under a jacket. It's normal. Unless you get a non-iron shirt. The wrinkles will release throughout the day if it is a good shirt. Part of the charm of 100% cotton IMO.

Youthful Repp-robate

Honors Member
United States
New Jersey
Montclair
I like pinpoint for all but the dressiest occasions, because it wrinkles much less than poplin. I think it's really tough to do trad if you don't embrace the odd wrinkle -- or at least adopt a relaxed attitude towards them. Shows you're alive.

Use starch if you want, but supposedly it's bad for shirts (don't know if this is spray starch or just the kind that's laundered in), and it feels less comfortable to me.

Nathan Detroit

I'm fine with some wrinkling too - it's part of the tradly look. My experience is that, w/ an oxford cloth shirt, I can take it out of the washer - the quicker it comes out the better - put it on a hanger, stretch the wrinkles out a bit and it will dry fine, look great, almost wrinkle-free. These are traditional heavy cotton OCBDs, Brooks and Hyde Parks - they are not non-iron. With pinpoints this doesn't work as well. They will need to be ironed... so I don't wear them often.

This will also work w/ linen shirts and cotton madras.

Jovan

Honors Member
United States
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Regarding starch, this article says it better than me:

http://ravefabricare.com/true-quality-cleaning/2010/8/19/why-your-light-starched-shirts-feel-stiff.aspx

I too am confused about your problem. Yes, pinpoint wrinkles a bit more readily than oxford, but it's practically a godsend next to broadcloth! You may consider twill for the cooler months, as it wrinkles even less. There's a reason most non-iron treated shirts are made from pinpoint and twill. They come out of the dryer with far less wrinkles than broadcloth and retain the crispness of the treatment throughout the day more easily.

superpacker

United States
Florida
NAPLES
Thanks for the responses so far. Maybe its just me, but I just feel the wrinkles are over the top. Especially because I am totally fine with it on ocbds. My thoughts are exactly as many of you shared above. Heavy ocbds like brooks and Hyde Parks I rarely iron. They look great. To me those are relaxed rumpling. Pinpoint seems to just plain crease and wrinkle even after a thorough press, and just remains the rest o the day. If when I put on my seatbelt, a fold of fabric gets caught underneath, I will have this long angular crease across my chest the rest of the day.

Tom Buchanan

United States
Maryland
The City
Though I send my shirts to the cleaner now, I still consider myself a bit of an expert on ironing pinpoint shirts since (1) when I was starting out in the working world, pinpoint was relatively new and popular for its dressier appearance, and (2) I was too poor to send my shirts out then. This was back in the stone age when everyone wore suits everyday.

Pinpoint is actually much easier to iron with a press than heavy oxford. Use a decent brand-name spray starch. The cheap brands can clump. Spray the shirt as you go while ironing. Spray, wait a moment to let the spray starch sink in so your iron does not stick, then iron with a hot iron, moving constantly. Since the fabric is thinner than oxford, the starch will dry and set quickly, so keep moving. I used to iron a week or two worth of shirts on Sunday nights while watching tv.

Once starched, the shirt holds up throughout the day without excessive wrinkling.

ps, I tried the "real starch" that you have to mix and dip the shirt in. I found it to be a mess, and not necessary for pinpoint.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
Consider post #5 in this thread -

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?141678-Advice-Needed-100-Cotton-Business-Shirts&p=1436412#post1436412