tocqueville

Suspended
United States
DC
Washington
So here's my dilemma: If I had but one child, I would try to dress him in the cheapest stuff available because I would only need stuff that will last one season. But I have two small sons and a third boy on the way. Meaning, perhaps if I spent more on better clothing, it might survive to be handed down, and thus I end up ahead.

Does this logic work? Are there certain items that I should just buy cheap and others that I should buy for quality?

Underwear, socks, and t-shirts, I believe, should be bought cheap. Target, etc. What about shoes? Coats? Pants?

Bucksfan

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Ohio
Columbus
There are no garage sales where I live, but I've already bought my eldest a number of items off of Ebay. I see that as the best way around the dilemma, since it enables me to buy quality at a low price.

roman totale XVII

Suriname
Ohio
Cleveland
I'm in this exact situation with two boys just 18 months apart. You can't go wrong with Lands End and LL Bean and using the 'hand me down' route.

Padme

It really depends. My sister bought only the best for her child and she was able to recoup some of her investments at her church's thrift shop. She ended up having 2 more children, and in spite of her then husband making a very large salary, none of her children went to college.

I shopped all over and went with the look I wanted as opposed her only buying the best for her children type thinking, and my children always looked nice. I could have purchased Levi's for the middle but I was thankful for the Sears policy of returns no matter how long or what the reason as he knew how to destroy jeans in a matter of minutes to a few days.

And some children will grow right out of a brand new pair of shoes within minutes, or an outfit you bought and hung in their closet for 3 months later for the church choir pagent could be too small the week before the event. My youngest is our poor hand me down child of leftovers, but he looks fairly decent and hopefully we can get the last 2 through college.

JoshESQ

Polo boys clothing is the best quality for price you can get, especially if you have a Polo outlet close by.

As for shoes, play shoes can rarely make it through two boys, let alone three (I have three boys of my own). However, dress shoes should be spent on for hand me down quality. I recommend ECCOs for boys, and Nordstrom stocks them.

DG123

United States
California
San Francisco
Lands End is a great choice for growing kids clothing. Basic styling at low prices.

So here's my dilemma: If I had but one child, I would try to dress him in the cheapest stuff available because I would only need stuff that will last one season. But I have two small sons and a third boy on the way. Meaning, perhaps if I spent more on better clothing, it might survive to be handed down, and thus I end up ahead.

Does this logic work? Are there certain items that I should just buy cheap and others that I should buy for quality?

Underwear, socks, and t-shirts, I believe, should be bought cheap. Target, etc. What about shoes? Coats? Pants?

tocqueville

Suspended
United States
DC
Washington
That's the second recommendation for Ecco shoes for kids I've heard in two days.

TruthfulLies

Starting Member
In all honesty, I've spent far too abundant on strollers over the years to amount out what works best for our family. If I could aces aloof one adventurer that works able-bodied in about any situation, it would be my InStep Ultra Runner 2 Double Jogging Stroller. It works aloof as able-bodied in a awash capital as it does back walking about our neighborhood, and it folds up decidedly bunched back you abolish the advanced caster (which is SO accessible to do). It's failing abundant for me to elevate in and out of the car on my own and fits through any accepted doorway.

So what are some things that I'm accommodating to skimp on or acquisition alternatives?

Children's accouterment – Hand-me-downs, backyard sales, assignment stores, and Target are our arcade venues of best for the kids. Old Navy and the casual cruise to the GAP aperture are about as aerial end as we get, and I never buy annihilation there that's not on auction or approval priced.

Diaper Genies – Perhaps they've afflicted back I accustomed mine, but the Playtex Diaper Genie is one account that I absolutely could accept done without. The inserts are awfully expensive, and it absolutely didn't do that absurd of a job absolute odors, abnormally back we've about consistently had two, if not three, in diapers at one time. Wrapping them up in a grocery bag and demography them beeline alfresco to the debris can is what works for us.

Full-size highchairs – These accept consistently been aloof a nuisance for me. They booty up way too abundant space, and there's aloof not a acceptable abode to abundance it amid uses in my house. We purchased a Fisher-Price Amplitude Saver Aerial Chair and accept been annihilation by admiring with it from babyish to toddler use.

Whether I scrimp or splurge, I do consistently look for the best amount on an item. One of my admired assets for babyish and kid deals is Babyish Cheapskate. Angie's consistently in the apperceive on the latest and greatest!

jkidd41011

United States
KY
Covington
That's the second recommendation for Ecco shoes for kids I've heard in two days.
I'll ditto the kids Ecco's. Whenever Castle House kids here in Cincinnati has any on clearence we'll buy them and put them up for my son. Really most of the athletic shoes brands we've faired well with. My son has had a pair of Reebok Zigs that are over a year old (bought big then his foot growth has slowed) and they still look great. The worst shoes IMO are Sketchers. They suck the kids in with the TV commercials and the quality is junk.

jkidd41011

United States
KY
Covington
I'll also add and I posted this in another thread, if you buy your clothes a year ahead when the stuff goes on seasonal clearance you can save big. We have been doing this for my son since he was a baby. Macy's is a primary example. You can load up on the Polo boys clothes at 75%-80% off and sit on them until it's his size the following year. We are always asked..."how can you afford to dress your son son well". It's because were smart about it. Then the sad thing is when he outgrows it, if the stuff is still in good shape (Lacoste and Polo tend to hold up well). You can either sell it on eBay of take it to a consignment store and the stuff is an easy sell.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts