Sator

Honors Member
My new girlfriend is asking me to help her buy quality women's shoes. She was so aghast at seeing my wardrobe that she hastily threw nearly everything in her own wardrobe out and is now begging me to help her rebuild. Unfortunately, I have no clue as to what makes a good shoe.

I honestly can see very little of substance going into a high end shoe. For example Louboutins are expensive but what is it (apart from advertising) that justifies the price? I am more inclined to trust makers who can also make a solidly constructed man's shoe eg Ferragamo, A. Testoni, Santoni but then again who is to say they are made by the same group... Sadly, I could not tempt her with any of Plal's C&J offerings.

I managed to score a couple of good looking Anne Kleins, the full retail price stated on STP being around $240 or so. Then again eBay seems full of Anne Kleins with a stated retail price of around $80 - does this mean they have different ranges of varying quality???

Does anyone know who makes a decent pair of black calf leather pumps which are made to last?

Help :cry:

mafoofan

Albania
Albania State
Albania City
These aren't exactly sexy, to say the least. Given the necessities of attractive women's shoe design, durability will always be an issue and construction will always be somewhat delicate. The search for high-quality, durable, but attractive women's shoes is probably futile most of the time.

The best you can hope for is quality leather and clean finishing. The upside to the situation is that the construction quality in a Manolo is little different from that of something you'd find at Nine West, or even Target--so as long as you find a design you like, you can shop downmarket with little ill-effect on quality. Then it won't matter so much when the shoe disintegrates on your foot.

My fiancee likes J. Crew shoes. They appear equal in quality to Prada, Stuart Weitzman, Gucci, etc., but for a third of the price. They may even be made in the same Italian factories for all we know.

Sator

Honors Member
Given the necessities of attractive women's shoe design, durability will always be an issue and construction will always be somewhat delicate. The search for high-quality, durable, but attractive women's shoes is probably futile most of the time.

The best you can hope for is quality leather and clean finishing. The upside to the situation is that the construction quality in a Manolo is little different from that of something you'd find at Nine West, or even Target--so as long as you find a design you like, you can shop downmarket with little ill-effect on quality. Then it won't matter so much when the shoe disintegrates on your foot.

My fiancee likes J. Crew shoes. They appear equal in quality to Prada, Stuart Weitzman, Gucci, etc., but for a third of the price. They may even be made in the same Italian factories for all we know.
Is it really so abjectly bad? Aren't the better ones at least Bologna constructed, as opposed to being ugly glue jobs?

I have gotten the impression that the really cheap ones do fall apart quicker due to inferior glueing. The heels in particular tend to fall off rather quickly.

The Wife

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Intrigued by the Munro Shoes

Thank you for that link to Mollie Munro's shoe company. I like the information on the site. A visit to the store in our town that carries American-made Munro shoes will be instructive. The Husband, who knows a prodigious amount about shoe-construction and quality, will tell me what he thinks of them. I think "Lacy" is plenty sexy. It looks like it shows a lady's foot and ankle to good advantage, and, unlike those completely flat ballet slippers, provides support.

Last edited:

The Wife

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I agree--though the zeitgeist may dictate to the easily-led that Jimmy Choo or Manolo Blahnik open-toed, five-inch heels are attractive (depends on what one wishes to attract), in my opinion there's nothing more tastefully sexy and romantic than the elegant John Lobb shoes you've pictured, Bob--no matter what derisive nickname you give them. Speaking of derisive nicknames, I have one for the aforementioned five-inch heels that I will refrain from printing here!

Last edited: