A.Squire

Honors Member
If anyone is out there this am. Question on spread collars and bows. Yea or nay? Don't give me the button down routine this am either, I'm wearing this french cuff, monogramed, cut a way. Can I wear a bow. Looks weird to me. I know this isn't a trad question, but don't throw me in the river.

Thanks,

Allen

shuman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Nice ties. I wouldnt mind wearing a bow with a spread collar, and have dont so on many occiasions. I agree, it feels wierd, but I have read it is okay also. Have a happy Sunday!

Martinis at 8

United States
Texas
Houston
Allen,

I would ditch the bowtie and the longtie that you have pictured.

I would suggest a longtie in a solid color, since your shirt has a pattern. Or a solid color longtie with a very subdued pattern in the background.

Short of that, don't wear a tie at all with that shirt.

As for the general question of bowtie with French cuffs, I would say never unless it is a smoking that you are wearing.

M8

P.S. If that is a blue shirt on your sink, it will go well with the longtie.

I've seen so much in so many places
So many heartaches, so many faces
So many dirty things
You couldn't even believe

familyman

The shirt and tie look great, I'm curious what coat and pocket square finished out the look.

John Adams

mgw

quote:Originally posted by Martinis at 8

Allen,

I would ditch the bowtie and the longtie that you have pictured.

I would suggest a longtie in a solid color, since your shirt has a pattern. Or a solid color longtie with a very subdued pattern in the background.

Short of that, don't wear a tie at all with that shirt.

As for the general question of bowtie with French cuffs, I would say never unless it is a smoking that you are wearing.

M8

P.S. If that is a blue shirt on your sink, it will go well with the longtie.

I've seen so much in so many places
So many heartaches, so many faces
So many dirty things
You couldn't even believe
I respectfully disagree. A bowtie can be worn with a french cuff shirt. While there may be certain functions at which the wearing of a bowtie would not be suitable, i.e. a funeral, I have often viewed a bowtie and necktie as virtually interchangeable in many situations. While one may choose not to wear one, there is certainly nothing incorrect about it.