Quote of the day...

Discussion in 'The Interchange' started by eagle2250, May 17, 2019 at 4:35 AM.

1. eagle2250

eagle2250 Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Harmony, FL
    United States
    Florida
    Harmony
    This AM I read a quote apparently spoken by Keneau Reeves:

"We live in a generation of emotionally weak people. Everything has to be watered down because it's offensive, including the truth!"

There is much truth in those thoughts/words. As my wife opined and I am in complete agreement, "I miss the days when people could speak their minds freely without everyone getting bent out of shape, as so many are won't to do these days! I personally resent having to always so carefully weigh my words for fear of offending someone."

Sadly freedom of speech is a quickly fading reality in our lives and will soon be no more! What say you? :icon_scratch:

Andy and Big T like this.
  2. Mike Petrik

Mike Petrik Honors Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    Eagle, I agree.

That said, words can wound and one should try to be charitable and sensitive in communication as long as truth is not impaired. And because truth can be elusive, words should be informed by a bit of humility and measure.

In today's online world people post with incredible license, hiding being anonymity to speak their "truths" unencumbered by information or measure. It seems that the inability of people to feel they may speak candidly about various matters in public places has contributed to a disordered Internet world choking with self-righteous meanness.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    Tiger, Oldsarge and eagle2250 like this.
  3. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    When folk spoke face to face, good manners were essential. Now that the lumpenproletariat can hide behind the anonymity of the 'Net and spew foulness they claim is "truth", it is no wonder that the country is in a constant state of anger.

Mike Petrik likes this.
  4. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    It's fine with me if they hide behind the internet. At least people are starting to speak up. People are finally being forced to think outside the "box", which is healthy. Political Correctness has been a monopoly of the left, which needs to be torn down. I like hearing other opinions. I hope the left media is finally being defeated because the rest of us have a voice now to counter. If the left was honest I would have a different opinion.
    Watering down produces weakness. Little children are blunt, and their fine. What excuse do younger adults have for their weakness? None!

5. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    My thoughts on this issue, or the expression of them at least, are obscure. The progressive culture now evolves at a pace with which, it seems to me, only those whose are almost permanently online (a condition I disdain) could manage to maintain currency. Further, my professional obligations latterly include a formal policy relating to online representation which, whatever its intent may be, certainly gives me pause.

However, all of that aside, a case could be made that we currently exist in an epoch wherein we are encouraged to believe that mental and moral deficiency is praiseworthy whilst the values upon which our civilisation were founded are to be discarded (along with those who cleave to them).

I would not mind the external environment of this brave new world quite so much were it not so avidly rapacious in its desire to reconfigure our inner landscapes.

"A totalitarian society which succeeded in perpetuating itself would probably set us a schizophrenic system of thought, in which the laws of common sense held good in everyday life and in certain exact sciences but could be disregarded by the politician, the historian, and the sociologist. Already there are countless people who would think it scandalous to falsify a scientific text-book, but would see nothing wrong in falsifying an historical fact."

- George Orwell.

eagle2250 and Tiger like this.
  6. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
  7. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    This is the result of a society which becomes fat and happy and forgets struggle and lacks self identify.

There is no one part of the culture to blame. Basic and higher education are to fault, poor parenting, our politics, our cultural elite.

Mike Petrik likes this.
  8. Mike Petrik

Mike Petrik Honors Member

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    I refuse to "like" this solely out of respect for Shaver's disdain for "liking." :)

9. WA

WA Honors Member

United States
    WA
    Bellingham
    Didn't think of it that way. But certainly makes sense.
    Isn't this the generation that got trophies, even when they lost?

To date, I've never gotten a trophy for anything. But, I didn't participate in activities where I might have gotten any. Little league was so boring I quit. Soccer came later, which I was interested in, but work or unemployment prevented that enjoyment. Nobody gets trophies for hiking, which I liked more than any organised sport. In my lifetime I heard a lot of No's.

10. Big T

Big T Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    PA
    DuBois
    Parents preferring to be friends instead of parents, is a major contributor to all events of Cook's diatribe.

What is sad to see, though I do not interview applicants (at my business), I occasionally see some. Seems to be many late teens/early twenty somethings, with teeth rotted away. Equally troubling in our mostly rural area, is also seeing multi-generational drug users. Seems many from the Sixties, never gave up their bad habits, but passed it on to their children and their children's children.