Oldsport

United States
New Jersey
Swedesboro
I normally get my news and events off of the iPad, radio, etc. However, would like to start reading a daily newspaper. I'm leaning toward Wall Street Journal, NY Times or USA Today. Any better recommendations? Also, when the heck did yearly subscriptions get so expensive??

smmrfld

United States
California
Pleasanton
NYT online. Can assume you don't mean going back to an actual printed version? Not sure why anyone would want that.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I subscribe to WAPO. It isn’t bad. Many of the news articles morph into editorials or opinion pieces after the first paragraph, but I have trained myself to stop spewing out my coffee every morning.

Cheers,

BSR

Tiger

United States
New York
New York City
You are doing yourself a disservice if your goal is to read one newspaper - the lack of impartiality ensures that you will receive a skewed version of politics, history, and perhaps in other areas.

The New York Times and Washington Post are situated on the left - and in some cases, the far left - of the political spectrum, and it distorts their reportage. Find a counterbalance, even if it's an online/magazine source. For instance, The American Conservative is a magazine with a superb website, and its traditionalist conservatism blended with a bit of libertarianism provides a nice balance to the newspapers listed above.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Between NYT, WaPo and WSJ you’ll have it pretty well covered. If I had to pick one it would probably be WSJ.

For opinion journalism, I like National Review. Some really excellent writing.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Regular reading of a former foreign service officer....

WAPO
WSJ
The New Yorker
The Economist
The Telegraph
Drudge/Daily Mail (to track cultural trending)
Airmail Weekly
Country Life
The Field

One will be fully able to hold ones own at any cocktail party and will be better informed than most at a typical hearing on Capital Hill.

Cheers,

BSR

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts