3degrees

United States
AZ
Phoenix
Is there a big difference between the two? Is it less important if I always have my shirts professionally cleaned? Specifically Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. Thank you gentleman.

alaric

United States
Arizona
Tucson
Personally, I will stick to regular. the non iron shirts usually achieve the effect by coating the thread (before weaving), the fabric (before the shirt is built) or the shirt as a whole (after construction). Ironing the non iron shirt will eventually remove the coating. How many ironings/washings it takes to reduce the coating will vary by quality of coating and method of application.

dks202

United States
tx
San Antonio
There are many laundry/dry cleaners who will not accept non-iron shirts for their laundry. Don't know how they do with dry cleaning. Non-iron shirts do not hold starch, they are very hot, and a they're a little heavier than regular shirts. I bought one and got rid of it quickly.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
As I recall the last time we discussed this particular subject the ban-hammer was wielded and the thread eventually transferred to the interchange.

Ahh the good old days..... :redface:

Starch

United States
Washington
Seattle
Dodging the controversial part, and going to the easier question:

Is it less important if I always have my shirts professionally cleaned?
I think it's pretty obvious that it's less important in that case. In other words: if you're going to get your shirts professionally cleaned (and pressed), the advantage of a non-iron shirt is largely eliminated. The purpose of the fabric, as suggested by its name, is that you can launder it without ironing. If you're going to iron it anyway, that's not an advantage.

I suppose non-iron shirts wrinkle less in the course of wearing, but that's a more minor issue. Personally, I don't really have a problem with shirts or any sort wrinkling in the course of wearing. That might be different depending on climate and your activities. On a specific note: Phoenix is hot, but "it's a dry heat." Well, that's what everyone always says.

Thank you gentleman.
The singular suggests either (i) that there's only one gentleman present or (ii) you're only expecting one answer. I won't speculate as to which was intended.

mrkleen

Boston
United States
MA
Boston
There are many laundry/dry cleaners who will not accept non-iron shirts for their laundry.
Good story.

I think it's pretty obvious that it's less important in that case. In other words: if you're going to get your shirts professionally cleaned (and pressed), the advantage of a non-iron shirt is largely eliminated.
The biggest selling point to Non Iron shirts is that they retain their crisp look longer - so at the end of the day, you dont look like a bag of wrinkles. I dont know anyone the wears non iron shirts in a professional environment who doesn't press them after laundering them.

Last edited:

3degrees

United States
AZ
Phoenix
Thank you gentlemen. I did a little research on the subject but, was interested in some first hand insights from AAAC members with non iron shirt experience. Regular shirts it is.

Starch

United States
Washington
Seattle
In light of (a) Shaver's implied admonition and (b) the OP having already chosen the appropriate course for his situation:

'nuff said.

cdavant

Advanced Member
United States
NC
Blowing Rock
Good story.

The biggest selling point to Non Iron shirts is that they retain their crisp look longer - so at the end of the day, you dont look like a bag of wrinkles. I dont know anyone the wears non iron shirts in a professional environment who doesn't press them after laundering them.
I wear non-irons in a professional environment--Dr.'s office--all the time without pressing them first. Most are good for 25 or more washes before they begin to look like they need pressing (BB, Lands End, JAB Traveler). My wife hangs all my shirts slightly damp as they come out of the dryer and the newer NI look ironed beside the must-irons they hang beside. Pressing a good NI is a waste of time for months if not years.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Ocean
my wife insisted I try no iron shirts to save on laundry bills. The only problem is they still need touchups and as she does not iron, I end up doing it. That means I end up giving up and sending them to the cleaners anyway, so buying non iron becomes a moot point. Maybe I'm imagining it but I think I can feel the difference in texture between the two and prefer the feel of regular shirts. But again I may just be kidding myself.

Last edited: