Remembrance of Things Past

Discussion in 'The Interchange' started by Tod Hackett, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Tod Hackett

Tod Hackett Active Member with Corp. Privileges

In a recent fit of nostalgia, I poked around the inter-webs to see what traces could be found of establishments that were near and dear to an earlier self which I know now to be no more.

Didn't find much, but I did find a few from D.C. days...

Starting with Nathan's which was on the south-east corner of M & Wisconsin - now a bank-cum-coffee shop I am told...

Both pictures were evidently taken around 2006-2007 - some ten years after my time warming the bar stools there.

6a0115720d4e87970b01b7c7487513970b.jpg

6a0115720d4e87970b01b8d0d1d20c970c.jpg

Interesting in the above that nobody was rolling-up their sleeves anymore and that slob-nation had already made inroads even here. Still, umbrella and blue top are medicine for my soul compared to what assails my eyes here daily. Pretty sure the fellow in the yellow OCBD was a fellow long time regular with whom I was once a nodding acquaintance.

So if you have any internet or personal ephemera of places that occupied a special corner of your memories of times now gone by, please do post along with me here.

Peak and Pine likes this.
  2. smmrfld

smmrfld Super Member

United States
    California
    Pleasanton
    The Wicked Eye in San Ramon, CA. Concrete floors, bar on the perimeter, and a single brass pole in the middle of the room. Good times, good times.

3. Tod Hackett

Pictures, pictures - or it never happened...

Otherwise I'll have to assume that you are bit confused and it was really lunch recess at California Junior Boys Republic and that it was actually a tetherball pole in question...

4. smmrfld

smmrfld Super Member

United States
    California
    Pleasanton
    Not confused, but was certainly better than the Applebee’s clone in your OP.

5. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Super Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Atlanta, Georgia
    United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    Pravda, Decatur Street, New Orleans, 2008.

Pravda, which was an "early soviet themed" absinthe bar on Decatur St, in the Vieux Carre, just around the corner from the Richelieu Hotel, where I lived while working in NOLA. Pravda had one of the most eclectic clienteles of any bar I ever frequented. I was there almost every night for 2 months. Artists, vinyl bondage fetishists, F&B late nighters off from their restaurant shifts, reactionaries, communists, neo-fascists, academics (me), a general menagerie of friendly and well spoken freaks. $2 PBRs kept the Prols like me happy. On my last night there I tipped the staff out very well. I think it closed within a year.

pravda 1.jpg

7757984220_20db3c6ae0_b.jpg

bartenderandpatrons.jpg
    6946635273_fc8b644c75_b.jpg

Cheers,

BSR

Tod Hackett likes this.
  6. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Super Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Atlanta, Georgia
    United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
    The Guards, Georgetown, DC. It closed a couple of years ago after being open since 1966. Thank God Martin's Tavern is still around! Martin's is my HQ when visiting the Home Office.

guards-georgetown-e1344357804331.jpg

41ffe848ecbf4ea9116ac5026982e9b3.jpg

Cheers,

BSR

Tod Hackett likes this.
  7. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    Memories of Times Past . . . in the 21st Century? Listen up, whippersnappers, all my memories of those are from the late 60's. There are no photos or internet connections, wikipedia references (except Henry Africa's!) or, AFAICT, remaining structures. Now that's PAST.

Tod Hackett likes this.
  8. Tod Hackett

The dance scene downstairs in the Gryphon Room and cocktails with friends in the wing chairs up-front while watching the snow fall on M.

Enough said...

Mr. B. Scott Robinson likes this.
  9. derum

derum Suspended

United States
    T
    Houston
    The Ebury in Belgravia. Spent years in here, some of which I remember.
    5AB0D15B-0ABC-4FDF-8992-8E2F680876CA.jpeg E79A2E8D-E0FB-4C86-A1E7-563CBE6BE09B.jpeg CAE2AD4E-84A0-41FB-BF34-892A9F6D8414.jpeg

Attached Files:

Tod Hackett likes this.
  10. ChrisRS

ChrisRS Active Member with Corp. Privileges

United States
    Georgia
    Atlanta
    This is a dangerous little game.
    Downtown Albany, NY in the 80s. Bands like Blotto, The Tragics, The Sharks.

Places like 288 Lark And QE2, a mixture of NY government worker, business, college student and transvestite.
    upload_2019-3-14_14-9-52.jpeg

Tod Hackett likes this.