Remembrance of Things Past

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
I did find some pix of Henry Africa's. It was the first of the fern bars and for a while, wildly popular. You had to squeeze into the front door and then let the brownian movement of the crowd take you up to the bar to order your drink and then away again to enjoy it.

View attachment 29408
I’d forgotten all about “a brownie in motion.”

;0)

TKI67

United States
Texas
Austin
http://www.insidesocal.com/davidallen/2013/12/03/stinkys-inside-and-out/

Stinky’s In Upland, CA was a favorite spot for the students of Claremont Men’s College. It was on Route 66 and bikers loved it, too. It was a stone hut in the wash at the foot of Mt. Baldy. The beer was icy cold, the burgers were greasy, and the picnic tables were totally covered in carvings. Alas, it is rumored that someone poured concrete in the toilets and that was why it closed.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
^^Uh-Oh...
Rumor has it that I've stopped up a toilet or two over the years, but I never used concrete to do it and they've never closed the place down...at least not permanently! LOL. ;)

derum

Suspended
United States
T
Houston
Very dangerous!
This was the Red Lion on Great Windmill street in Soho, just off Shaftesbury avenue. It was a great place to drink, people watch, and start a tour of Soho's best haunts.
B219CDEE-9F6E-485D-A7B6-18D8B7571439.jpeg
"progress" happened, they closed it and re-opened it as this:
78F56C9A-5E5B-498D-86F4-2EB4B5E979B3.jpeg
[email protected] my arse.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
There was a Red Lion across the street from Presidio San Francisco that we patronized on occasion. But around the corner from it was the Vienna Schnitzel Haus and it was the absolute bomb for young, civilized GI's and their families. Best. Strudel. Ever! And beer by the pitcher . . .

Dcr5468

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Louisiana
Mandeville
Pravda, Decatur Street, New Orleans, 2008.

Pravda, which was an "early soviet themed" absinthe bar on Decatur St, in the Vieux Carre, just around the corner from the Richelieu Hotel, where I lived while working in NOLA. Pravda had one of the most eclectic clienteles of any bar I ever frequented. I was there almost every night for 2 months. Artists, vinyl bondage fetishists, F&B late nighters off from their restaurant shifts, reactionaries, communists, neo-fascists, academics (me), a general menagerie of friendly and well spoken freaks. $2 PBRs kept the Prols like me happy. On my last night there I tipped the staff out very well. I think it closed within a year.

View attachment 29375

View attachment 29376

View attachment 29377
View attachment 29378

Cheers,

BSR
I remember this place but dared not go in.

Bar Vin and the adjacent old Absinthe House are my most likely stops when in the City

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisRS

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
One more, from a more innocent time.

Playing little league next to the Tobin Packing Plant. The smell gut wrenching yet hunger inducing. Home of Tobin First Prize hotdogs!

upload_2019-3-17_8-27-9.jpeg

After the game, we would walk across the street for two cent Bazooka Joe.

This was just as life forming as my previous entry, but not nearly as perilous as being in downtown Albany at 2 in the morning.

cosmotoast

I shall assume the lower class of remembering the past in my hometown with this chicken joint although I'm told Marylands still exist in some areas.5c4b5758ca1949204d64e51ab9fc653e.jpg