Dr.Watson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
South Carolina
Columbia
I have two Rugby Ralph Lauren Shetland sweaters that I'm very fond of, with the exception of their leather elbow patches. People comment on the elbow patches every time I wear them, which makes me a bit self-conscious.

Would removing them show, do you think? I suppose one could just put them back on again if so, but I wondered if anyone had experience with this.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
I have no idea, but would encourage you to be less self-conscious. Such patches are both traditional and practical. My millennial son is often searching for sweaters with patches because absent such patches he prematurely wears out sweaters at the elbows.

I cannot speculate what manner of commentary you are hearing, but if critical it is almost certainly coming from quarters worthy of being kindly ignored. Just respond with a knowing and forgiving smile.

That said, please forgive me for this editorial -- I admit it really isn't responsive to your question, and I do not at all mean to be disrespectful of your intention.

Last edited:

Semper Jeep

United States
Michigan
Bloomfield Hills
I have two Rugby Ralph Lauren Shetland sweaters that I'm very fond of, with the exception of their leather elbow patches. People comment on the elbow patches every time I wear them, which makes me a bit self-conscious.

Would removing them show, do you think? I suppose one could just put them back on again if so, but I wondered if anyone had experience with this.
If you've owned and been wearing the sweaters for some time, I probably wouldn't bother with having them removed as I think it would be more likely to show where the patches used to be as opposed to having them removed from a brand new sweater.

At Law

United States
Nebraska
Omaha
Trust me, it will show. Rather than removing leather elbow patches, I've asked my better half to add them to several of my sweaters. ;)
Absolutely. I love the look of leather elbow patches on sweaters (and sports coats). It is quite difficult to find any sweaters with the patches.
I have an old Ralph Lauren V Neck dark grey shaggy dog with brown leather elbow patches. I purchased that when I was in undergrad in 1997 and protect that sweater like gold as I haven't seen one since.

Dr.Watson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
South Carolina
Columbia
Ok, thanks for the sanity check, guys. I just didn't want to look pretentious. The comments are mostly positive anyway, so I should probably just be less neurotic.

Semper Jeep

United States
Michigan
Bloomfield Hills
I've got nothing against patches on jackets or sweaters if that's your thing, but I always think of this when the topic comes up:

:p