Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
I have a tweed jacket that has elbow patches and a shooting sweater (well British military sweater, same thing, really) that does, also. While I wouldn't add patches unless the elbows were showing wear, I certainly wouldn't have them taken off. So I guess that puts me half way in the discussion. So long as the garment in question looks lovingly worn, I'd stick with them.

Danny

United States
Maryland
Baltimore
Yeah I think it'd show to try to remove them. There's either adhesive or stitching under there. Embrace it or if you dislike the patches then maybe get another sweater.

Color 8

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
We live in an age where one dares not raise an eyebrow over people inked up like the Sunday comics, or with a pound of steel pierced through their faces, or with hair in colors more appropriate for Lava Lamps.

The idea that anyone could comment on something like elbow patches on a sweater is ludicrous. Ignore them.

Shaver

Connoisseur
England
Manchester
We live in an age where one dares not raise an eyebrow over people inked up like the Sunday comics, or with a pound of steel pierced through their faces, or with hair in colors more appropriate for Lava Lamps.

The idea that anyone could comment on something like elbow patches on a sweater is ludicrous. Ignore them.
I have latterly come to appreciate the signals of aposematism displayed by certain of our fellow beings. These gaudy people are at worst deranged and at best irritating, that they choose to advertise their shortcomings so vividly spares me a measure of discomfiture, for which I am grateful.

drpeter

United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
Ask your antagonists why they spend so much time looking at people's elbows. Inquire politely if it's a sexual fetish, and do they have clubs.
If it is a sexual fetish, and they are armed with clubs, I would say discretion ought to be the better part of valour.

New Old Stock

United States
New York
New York
From the new Bond film - & just like that you're a trendsetter!
B25_25594_R.jpg

Seriously though OP, tell them to get lost. Or better yet, throw an elbow!

drpeter

United States
Wisconsin
Stevens Point
Trust me, it will show. Rather than removing leather elbow patches, I've asked my better half to add them to several of my sweaters. ;)
I like that approach! While I don't have jackets with elbow patches, I do have one old long-sleeve polo shirt with suede elbow patches, and I rather like this shirt. It's perfect over a long-sleeve T shirt for wear in autumn. But unfortunately, I don't have a better half to add them to my sweater sleeves, and somehow, it does not seem to be the sort of thing to take to my tailor.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
I like that approach! While I don't have jackets with elbow patches, I do have one old long-sleeve polo shirt with suede elbow patches, and I rather like this shirt. It's perfect over a long-sleeve T shirt for wear in autumn. But unfortunately, I don't have a better half to add them to my sweater sleeves, and somehow, it does not seem to be the sort of thing to take to my tailor.
You just have to get out there and keep screening those candidates for your better half. When you find one with her own sewing machine, that's a pretty good indication you might have a winner! LOL. ;)