Return of the suit?

Discussion in 'Andy's Fashion Forum' started by Mr. B. Scott Robinson, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Mr. B. Scott Robinson Super Member

Karachi, Pakistan - Atlanta, Georgia
    United States
    Pakistan
    Karachi
  2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast Connoisseur

United States
    New York
    NY
    Interesting article - thank you for posting.

A couple of recent WSJ articles leaning the other way, but of course, as your article noted, the "fashion" guys are supposed to be ahead of the curve.

The below articles are from a subscription site, but sometimes, if you Google your way there, they'll let you read an article or two.

First Article
    "Wall Street, the last bastion of traditional corporate dress code, has been loosening its tie—and in some cases, getting rid of it completely—as male bankers increasingly take their sartorial cues from clients."
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/dressi...s-11547301601?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=14

Second Article
    Suits are out. Fleece vests and jeans are in. That is bad news for Tailored Brands ,TLRD 0.67% which owns the Men’s Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank brands.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/tailor...s-11547487283?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=12

3. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    I have been saying it for about 3 years - but bankers just don't wear ties much anymore. I think attorneys are the next phase and are in transition. Before it's over even funeral directors may go sans tie!?

4. Flanderian

Flanderian Connoisseur

United States
    New Jersey
    Flanders
    Funeral directors, 2029 -

[​IMG]

5. JBierly

JBierly Advanced Member

United States
    Tennessee
    Chattanooga
    Destination funeral at the beach?

6. SG_67

SG_67 Connoisseur

United States
    Illinois
    Chicago
    It’s all about experiences these days.

Mike Petrik likes this.
  7. Hebrew Barrister

Hebrew Barrister Senior Member

United States
    texas
    yourmomtown
    I've been an attorney for darn near 13 years now. I have yet to work at a firm where ties are worn other than for court or client meetings.

Sport coats are still very common. Ties are rare.

8. Oldsarge

Oldsarge Moderator and Bon Vivant

On the banks of the Willamette
    United States
    Oregon
    Oak Grove
    I can't imagine an attorney going into court without a tie. And I wouldn't want to see the judge's reaction!

9. Matt S

Matt S Connoisseur

United States
    NY
    New York
    I went to court a couple weeks ago and could not believe what the judge was wearing. I don't even know how to describe what she was wearing, but it was casual whatever it was. My lawyer said that she likely wanted to be comfortable under her robe, but she wasn't wearing her robe when I was in court. Nevertheless, all of the male lawyers there were dressed in suits and ties and the female lawyers were wearing suits or tailored jackets. Since you never know what judge you'll get, you have to dress to please the most strict.

10. Shaver

Shaver Connoisseur

England
    Manchester
    Dare I enquire as to what crime you had been accused of committing?