clothingconnoisseur

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hi Guys,

I am debating between the Date Just in Silver and White Gold with a White Face and the Deepsea in Silver and White Gold with a Black Face. I wear a suit a couple of times a month and other days a Sport Coat with no tie. Is the Deapsea too casual for suit days? I think the Date Just can be worn with just about anything but please correct me if I am wrong on that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I wear an Air King and I have worn same with suits, without reservation. To my mind (and eye) the Deepsea watch would be fine with a suit, but some in these parts might quite justly disagree with that opinion. These days I just seem to mix and match what I want and remain largely uninfluenced with the naysayers. Please let us know which way you go on this one. Good hunting! ;)

clothingconnoisseur

I wear an Air King and I have worn same with suits, without reservation. To my mind (and eye) the Deepsea watch would be fine with a suit, but some in these parts might quite justly disagree with that opinion. These days I just seem to mix and match what I want and remain largely uninfluenced with the naysayers. Please let us know which way you go on this one. Good hunting! ;)
Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you but it is a big investment so thinking it through.

Matt S

Connoisseur
All I'm going to say right now is that if you think Rolex is making watches out of silver, you're not ready to drop this kind of money on a watch.

smmrfld

All I'm going to say right now is that if you think Rolex is making watches out of silver, you're not ready to drop this kind of money on a watch.
Unnecessarily snarky comment. Pretty sure that it’s widely understood to be SS, which presents as a silver color. Probably best that's all you’re “going to say right now.” :rolleyes:

Matt S

Connoisseur
Unnecessarily snarky comment. Pretty sure that it’s widely understood to be SS, which presents as a silver color. Probably best that's all you’re “going to say right now.” :rolleyes:
I apologise for that. I will change my advice to say that he is on the right track to think things through and to try to understand what he is spending his money on with these watches. Before he can question if these watches go with suits, he should ask himself, 'why do I want these watches?' The Datejust and Deepsea are extremely different watches, so why those two? Normally one might compare the Deepsea to a Submariner, or a Datejust to a Date, Air King or Explorer. It's like comparing a linen jacket and a puffer coat.

richard warren

First, let me say I have a definite bias against Rolex, and believe that the idea that as a brand it signals success and affluence (which seems to be mostly what it sells) crass and limited in “truthiness” to a rather narrow context. That is to say, Rolex gets no style points whatsoever from me. Overpriced yet common as dirt. I watch the phenomenon (among many others) and wonder if human beings actually have the capacity for independent rational thought. The distinct possibility for its non-existence is perhaps the greatest argument for getting a Rolex, an argument for doing what everybody else does, except when you do it is is special.

You ask for advice:

Never buy anything that most be considered carefully as a big investment unless it is either a necessity or an actual investment. Or at least is should be something that, when you look at it, you know and more importantly feel you want it badly, without any dithering between this one and another. If you want to spend some money on watches get a classic size manual wind JLC Reverso in stainless and a Tissot Seastar automatic.

Woofa

One of the problems with questions like this is that many of us get very into clothing, accessories, jewelry to a point where we go so far beyond what 99 percent of the people you come into contact with would think. This is a similar question and I would answer in two questions: 1. Which do you like better after trying both on first? 2. What will you wear the watch with when not wearing a sport coat or suit? For all I know you already have a half dozen high end watches, maybe this will be your first and only purchase. For me, the sub is more casual and could be worn when dressing up but will look better casually. On the other hand, a date just feels more refined to me and I like it better when wearing a jacket and a tie. Part of this equation will depend on how large they sit on you wrist as well. I believe the sub was made for diving and to be worn with a bathing suit and a polo. I feel the date just was made for dressing up in your Oxxford suit. Just my opinion.
i own a two tone sub. It was my fathers and came to me when he passed. To be honest, it is not a watch I would have bought, I also find it too loud for my taste but I wear it sometimes mostly for sentimental value as a remembrance of my dad. I usually only wear it when going out someplace special As I am somewhat uncomfortable wearing it to work Or to the normal places I go.
one more thing. At least before corona, I hadheard it was difficult to get many rolex’s. Maybe opening up now. Also remember that owning a watch like this is expensive to service. I also think getting a used Rolex from a trusted seller could be a great way to go.
good luck and let us know what you choose.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Yes, of course it's too casual for suit days! That doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it. If you want the watch, just get it and "own" the look.

I wear a Rolex Sea-Dweller. I bought it in 1994, because the places I spent time studying halophiles (the Himalayas, Antarctica, the Ténéré, and pretty much any place hostile and remote) used to just chew through my watches. So I put a solid hunk of stainless steel on my wrist, and many adventures later, it's as good as new (well, I maintain it well.)

So, suits. I happily wear my Sea-Dweller with suits. Is it huge and obviously a "working" watch? Yes. Does my wife think I should get something tasteful, like a Patek-Phillippe or (her preference) a Breguet, to wear with suits or dinner jackets? Yes. Do I? No. I'm just the guy with the blocky, serious watch in a suit.

The situational downside is that you can pretty much forget French cuffs. I used to just wear them anyway, and my left cuff (I wear my watch on my left) would just be pushed back to accommodate my Rolex. Barrel cuffs aren't much better, frankly, but I have shirts made accordingly.

(Another plus: my Rolex is worth about 3x now to collectors than it cost me in 1994... not a great investment, but not flushed-away money, either. Like Steinway pianos, you can almost always get your money back if you ever part with it... well, or your heirs can.)

Real Rolexes are badass! Do it!

DH

David J. Cooper

We watched a BBC documentary on the future of Saville Row last week. It was made around 2007 I would say. It was 3 parts and very interesting. What surprised me most was how many of the management/tailors were wearing stainless steel dive watches.

Theoretically you couldn’t be in a more “City Suit” setting then Saville Row.

clothingconnoisseur

I apologise for that. I will change my advice to say that he is on the right track to think things through and to try to understand what he is spending his money on with these watches. Before he can question if these watches go with suits, he should ask himself, 'why do I want these watches?' The Datejust and Deepsea are extremely different watches, so why those two? Normally one might compare the Deepsea to a Submariner, or a Datejust to a Date, Air King or Explorer. It's like comparing a linen jacket and a puffer coat.
Yes, they are very different. The simple answer is that I like them both for different reasons. My wardrobe is a mix of Paul Stuart, Brooks Brothers (mostly sportswear), Zegna and a little Brioni. All very different but I like them all for different reasons. I don't feel the need to choose between styles but since I do not plan on buying another expensive watch in the near future I am weighing my options carefully.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
We watched a BBC documentary on the future of Saville Row last week. It was made around 2007 I would say. It was 3 parts and very interesting. What surprised me most was how many of the management/tailors were wearing stainless steel dive watches.

Theoretically you couldn’t be in a more “City Suit” setting then Saville Row.
When you've fully mastered the rules, the only way up is to break them?

(My experience, anyway!)

DH

clothingconnoisseur

Ended up purchasing the Date Just today and also a Cartier Tank Francaise, Medium sized with diamonds on the side as a gift for the wife. Couldn't come home with an expensive new toy and forget about her!

triklops55

Ended up purchasing the Date Just today and also a Cartier Tank Francaise, Medium sized with diamonds on the side as a gift for the wife. Couldn't come home with an expensive new toy and forget about her!
I'm late to the game, but my advice would've been the diver. It would've been a better investment in the near and long term, and there are fewer men wearing them out there than men wearing Datejusts. My recommendation would've been the diver, plus a much less expensive dress watch, such as a Nomos, for when you have to dress up. The datejust's versatility is what limits it's versatility, if that makes any sense.
I'm not trying to knock the Datejust. I own a couple of vintage ones and love the quintessentially Rolex look of them. But Rolex excels at sport watches, and that would be my recommendation to anyone who asked me about it.

Mute

You made the wiser choice. For the cost of a Deepsea, I'd rather buy myself a JLC Reverso and an Omega Seamaster and I may still have some money left over.

challer

Congratulations on your purchase. You will be very happy over the long term. Know well that you can pass this down for a few generations and Rolex will still support it and refurbish it. Generally only PP and Rolex can make that claim.

The Deep Sea is a very large watch. Because you mentioned two tone, I expect that is really the Sea Dweller, considerably smaller but still heavy. I had one and sold it. I'm no small person at 6' 1" and 215, but it just didn't work for me. My current daily is a Sky Dweller and an Apple watch. The SD is also big but much more wearable than the Sea Dweller. I use the GMT function every day. Still I take it off for the keyboard. The Apple because it monitors my health and a myriad other things I need. For the Apple watch haters, they will be replaced by the next generation of AR glasses, which are surprisingly advanced.

All Rolex other than Cellini are sport watches, designed for hard use in wet and dirty environments. A "true" dress watch is generally on a leather strap with few embellishments. All metal bands are associated with "sports" watches, even the Rolex presidential. Additionally, all watches today are jewelry. Between phones, laptops, tablets, our cars, appliances, Alexas, etc. we are all hyper aware of time to a fault.

French cuffs are no problem if you have yours made up. Just have them make a watch allowance. You'll need this for most any cuff with any large watch. My current go to shirts are Hamilton, Proper Cloth, and Mercer.

The DJ is the most iconic watch in the world. You chose well.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.