challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Your disdain for Rolex is evident. I will say that these thoughts are your opinion and clearly not everyone buys a Rolex or PP for the reasons you cited. If "common as dirt" is a general criticism, then we are all in trouble as nearly everything is common as dirt on a planet with 7.5 billion people. Even on this forum, there is large commonality in styles and brands.

For me, an entrepreneur in the tech industry with roots in engineering, my Rolex to me is a constant reminder in how far man has come. Not too long ago we were hunting with wood sticks and shaping rocks with other rocks. It is arguable if we are better off but we've come a long way; making a mechanical movement as precise as they are is no small thing.

I would argue that JLC and Tissot are not different than a Rolex in any way other than degree. Once we are past basic time keeping with a Timex or other sub $100 watch (or t-shirt and denim), the rest is embellishment. I chose Rolex because I like the design and because it is independent, fully integrated (they even alloy their own metals in house), a charity, and they'll support my watch 50 years from now. JLC and Tissot are part of large global companies (Swatch Group and Richmond) with very diverse interests.

Finally, let me say that it is human to upgrade our watch, cars, houses, and for some, spouses, upon the arrival of some level of success. Years of evolution have most of us hard wired in this regard. Oddly, the billionaires I work with wear the worst clothes imaginable on their Gulfstreams. The merely wealthy seem to all wear an Apple watch.

"First, let me say I have a definite bias against Rolex, and believe that the idea that as a brand it signals success and affluence (which seems to be mostly what it sells) crass and limited in “truthiness” to a rather narrow context. That is to say, Rolex gets no style points whatsoever from me. Overpriced yet common as dirt. I watch the phenomenon (among many others) and wonder if human beings actually have the capacity for independent rational thought. The distinct possibility for its non-existence is perhaps the greatest argument for getting a Rolex, an argument for doing what everybody else does, except when you do it is is special."

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.