Buffalo

United States
new jersey
teaneck
Just wanted to report that I received my first Sam Hober tie, a blue grenadine tie, and it is superb. The workmanship, quality of materials and the attention to detail are amazing. I ordered this tie after reading posts on this forum which extolled the quality of Sam Hober ties. Well, I can also now attest that they were right and I am now a fan. Thanks Forum and thanks Sam Hober.

granularus

Starting Member
United States
Arkansas
Conway
I can't wait for mine. Got the e-mail that they are on their way this week. I'm expecting two Garza Grossas, one in burgundy and one in dark navy. I first heard of the Hobers on the forum too.

cdavant

Advanced Member
United States
NC
Blowing Rock
Sam must be six by now and her dad does some of the best made ties around. I also have the official AAAC pocket square he made. The only, to my knowledge, official AAAC tie ever done was by he-whose-name-must-not-be mentioned-but his initials-are-Carlo-Franco and I still wear it from time to time. It was well made.

But it is surely time for a new, official AAAC square and tie and who better than David to do them? I would humbly suggest that the Mods confer first with members regarding how many ties and squares might be wanted, then with David to assure sufficient stock is available. If they could narrow things down a bit we could then vote on the decade's official tie and square. Naturally, the color and pattern would be different. The tie would have to have pattern enough to be distinctive.

Granted, the tiebar could crank out a few hundred faster and cheaper, but it wouldn't be the same. After all, we're working on Samantha's college fund.

msphotog

United States
Texas
Odessa
I just got my e-mail yesterday, I ordered 3 grenadines, dark red, chocolate and navy. I can hardly wait! BTW, I'm also excited to be receiving soon a Montecristi Panama from Brent Black at brentblack.com

Btw, there is a Sam Hober thread over on Style Forum with, maybe, 2 hundred pages. That's how I got excited to order mine, but, thanks to this forum, I already ordered some pocket squares five years ago, and the roll stitching will definitely spoil you!

Last edited:

Buffalo

United States
new jersey
teaneck
Lets hear how they worked out.
I can't wait for mine. Got the e-mail that they are on their way this week. I'm expecting two Garza Grossas, one in burgundy and one in dark navy. I first heard of the Hobers on the forum too.

Buffalo

United States
new jersey
teaneck
How did it work out.
I just got my e-mail yesterday, I ordered 3 grenadines, dark red, chocolate and navy. I can hardly wait! BTW, I'm also excited to be receiving soon a Montecristi Panama from Brent Black at brentblack.com

Btw, there is a Sam Hober thread over on Style Forum with, maybe, 2 hundred pages. That's how I got excited to order mine, but, thanks to this forum, I already ordered some pocket squares five years ago, and the roll stitching will definitely spoil you!

Sam Hober

Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Gentlemen,

Thank you so very much for your kind words.

Sam is now six and a half and in 1st grade - it is amazing how time flies. She was not even born when I first posted on this forum.

Her favorite class in school is art so no doubt she will start designing our silks in a few years.

One interesting update on the grenadine scene that just happened is that we will be able to make custom dots (or spots for our British friends).

Balfour

Suspended
UK
Scottish Borders
Innerleithen
+1 to the OP: Sam Hober grenadines are splendid.

Grenadine obviously is excellent choice for a solid tie: the texture guarantees you avoid the shiny effect that solid satins have, and provides interesting textural variation when paired, say, with a worsted wool suit. Textural variation is something that has long appealed to me intuitively, so it was interesting when I first joined the fora to see the merits of this articulated here and at The Other Place.

As for Sam Hober itself, the service I've received from David and quality of workmanship is second to none. The ties also offer excellent value when compared to fashion brands (even accounting for UK import tax!).

Also the ability to specify the exact measurements helps me both with length (I need ties slightly shorter than the standard 59") and width (Drakes, for instance, seem to have followed the trend towards narrow ties - most of their offerings are 8 cm (3.15") rather than the 3.5" I prefer). The right length is especially important with grenadine, as a FIH is the only tenable knot (the fabric precludes even a double FIH).

granularus

Starting Member
United States
Arkansas
Conway
My Sam Hober grenadines arrived today. One in navy, the other burgundy. Both are wonderful, the ties tie as well as my Brionis. I will definitely be ordering more. While I was waiting, last weekend, I ordered three garza finds from Paul Winston, they also arrived today. Let me note that I prefer garza grossa, but the Paul Winston ties are great as well. I got chocolate brown, gold, and purple. These tie as well as my Daniel Cremiuex ties. I will definitely be ordering more of these as well. I'll try to post photographs over the weekend. The bottom line, if you like grenadine, there are at least two great sources.