T1Million

Hi everyone,

I think I am finally ready to enter the world of Bespoke and I want my first one to be right.

I was looking at the list of Savile row tailors that visit NYC and I contacted a couple of the ones I had heard of but they seemed very expensive (I was looking to spend $3000-$4000 tops).

I also didn't like the idea of them not being available all the time in case there was a problem (I had some custom and it was a real project with lots of fittings). I know these people are very good at what they do but it's just the way I feel.

So really I am looking for someone a bit better on prices who is local and just as good as the Savile row guys.

Or am I asking too much?

CharlesAlexander

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Visit the Lower East side in Manhattan, there are tons of great tailors. It's the closest thing in New York to Savile Row. If you do a Google map search on tailors or bespoke you'll see what I mean.

mafoofan

Albania
Albania State
Albania City
So really I am looking for someone a bit better on prices who is local and just as good as the Savile row guys.

Or am I asking too much?
The best NYC tailors aren't any cheaper than Savile Row. I don't know their exact pricing, but Raphael, Corvato, and Fiorovanti each charge ~$5k for a suit.

As for quality and service, you may be better off with a New York tailor anyway. Savile Row is not the be all end all of tailoring anymore. Anyway, all else being equal, it's hugely helpful to have your tailor nearby for fittings and adjustments.

Visit the Lower East side in Manhattan, there are tons of great tailors. It's the closest thing in New York to Savile Row. If you do a Google map search on tailors or bespoke you'll see what I mean.
I was under the impression that most of the LES 'tailors' are really MTM operations or don't really do a classic suit. If the OP wants something on par with a Savile Row experience, he's probably better off using one of the city's more established tailors.

ToryBoy

Advanced Member
You need to find out their prices, Savile Row bespoke is not always more expensive. In the UK a Tom Ford RTW suit can cost the same as bespoke from an independent tailor on Savile Row (Savile Row trained).
In the US, Tom Ford bespoke will charge more then Savile Row bespoke tailors visiting the US.

The best NYC tailors aren't any cheaper than Savile Row. I don't know their exact pricing, but Raphael, Corvato, and Fiorovanti each charge ~$5k for a suit.
Doesn't William Fioravanti charge $10k for a suit, or is that for their top-price cloth?

The Louche

As for quality and service, you may be better off with a New York tailor anyway. Savile Row is not the be all end all of tailoring anymore. Anyway, all else being equal, it's hugely helpful to have your tailor nearby for fittings and adjustments.

I was under the impression that most of the LES 'tailors' are really MTM operations or don't really do a classic suit. If the OP wants something on par with a Savile Row experience, he's probably better off using one of the city's more established tailors.
MaFoo,

You live in NY right? Does Rubinacci have an atelier in NYC? If not, how do you deal with fittings, adjustments, emergencies?

I just got Winston tailors canvassing me on a private message.

Does this happen often?
Read his blog and his posts here and you'll learn that he is generous to us all with information and stories. It may also make you increase your interest in exploring a relationship with him.

Jovan

Honors Member
United States
New Mexico
Albuquerque
T1Million, with all due respect you could have just asked a moderator in a private message. Forum etiquette dictates that you keep private messages private.