derum

Suspended
United States
T
Houston
It is reported that sears in the USA is heading to closure, which is very sad.
Many Americans may not know that a company called Sears was once huge in the UK.
Sadly many Britons did not know it either.
No relation to the American company, Sears PLC became, for a time, and amongst it's many other interests, the largest shoe company in the world, under the banner British Shoe Corporation. Under Sears ownership were stores such as: Wallis, Warehouse, Miss Selfridge, Adams Childrenswear, Shoe Express, Shoe City, Saxone, Dolcis, Cable & Co, The Outfit, Lilley & Skinner, Trueform, Richards, Freemans Catalogue Store, Selfridges, The Selfridges Hotel, William Hill Bookmakers, - all well known high street shops to most people in Britain in the 70'/80/90's. Part ownership of The StEnoch's Shopping Centre in Glasgow, 3,000 retail shops being mostly leasehold with a few freehold jewels such as 190 Oxford Street and 330 Oxford Street known as the Top Shop flagship store.
Sears PLC finally disappeared after a long slow decline in the 1990's, after just over 100 years.
Sears in the USA, formed at a similar time, has lasted longer, but alas its days look to be numbered.

jts287

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Ohio
Rocky River
In the States, Sears/Kmart had been dying for decades now. I can't think of a thing this corporation does that any clothing or general merchandise store doesn't do much better. I enter Sears a couple times a year because it exists between where I park and the rest of the mall, and really, since the Gymboree store closed, I don't need to go to the mall anymore either...

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
The only things I ever bought from Sear were Craftsman tools, and now that they've sold that off (to Black & Decker), I have no reason to shop there ever again.

Like jts287, on the (increasing rare) occasions I visit a mall, I might park on the Sears side (because the lot is empty) and pass through it to access the mall proper; it's always sort of haunted by aging retail folk, and just fully looks the part of a doomed chain.

My office is actually in a converted 1926 Sear regional HQ/warehouse, and much of the architectural details have been preserved. It's 2.1 million square feet, and you can see what a commercial powerhouse Sears once was.

Hard to be big AND nimble! A lesson constantly revisited upon business.

DH

atlanta-beltline-and-ponce-city-market-1489780353.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
Growing up, I remember the arrival of the new Sears, Roebuck catalogue in the mail was such a big event. Sear's "big books" came in the Spring and Fall and then there was the 'Oh-so-anticipated' Christmas book! We kids lined up for that one, all champing at the bit to get started on our Christmas wish lists! Good memories. :)

Kind of sad to see Sears go by the wayside. :(

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia
Atlanta
The only things I ever bought from Sear were Craftsman tools, and now that they've sold that off (to Black & Decker), I have no reason to shop there ever again.

Like jts287, on the (increasing rare) occasions I visit a mall, I might park on the Sears side (because the lot is empty) and pass through it to access the mall proper; it's always sort of haunted by aging retail folk, and just fully looks the part of a doomed chain.

My office is actually in a converted 1926 Sear regional HQ/warehouse, and much of the architectural details have been preserved. It's 2.1 million square feet, and you can see what a commercial powerhouse Sears once was.

Hard to be big AND nimble! A lesson constantly revisited upon business.

DH

View attachment 24314
Do you visit Cobblers Union in your building? If so, what do you think of their shoes? I was going to stop in during my last visit to ATL but ran out of time.

Cheers,

BSR

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I remember buying Die Hard brand car batteries for $29.95! Had other good automotive equipment also.

Dhaller

United States
Georgia
Atlanta
Do you visit Cobblers Union in your building? If so, what do you think of their shoes? I was going to stop in during my last visit to ATL but ran out of time.

Cheers,

BSR
I popped into the store once. It's a nice little store and the shoes are pretty, though I didn't buy any. I found the staff nice, but not particularly knowledgeable about shoes; the owner (who's not actually a cobbler) was there, wearing a tradesman's apron and puttering around (I think he does polish or otherwise service shoes to add a bit of theater). It felt like more of a "concept" store?

I'll probably try a pair eventually, but as my initial understanding was "locally made shoes" (they aren't), it fell beneath my expectations.

Next Atlanta visit I recommend trying Sid Mashburn (there are also a lot of terrific eateries around that part of town), which carries its own makes of a lot of things (shoes, trousers, suits, etc).

DH

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
Next Atlanta visit I recommend trying Sid Mashburn (there are also a lot of terrific eateries around that part of town), which carries its own makes of a lot of things (shoes, trousers, suits, etc).
I’ve said before, if I were given the choice of a single merchant from which to procure my entire wardrobe - from casual to professional and everything in between - I would choose Sid Mashburn.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On the banks of the Willamette
United States
Oregon
Oak Grove
Sears pretty much lost me when they discontinued their Farm and Garden Catalog. Ever since the current CEO/hedgefundidiot took charge it's been in a death spiral. And now he's trying to blame the retirees for its decline. Typical inept would-be business baron--everything is someone else's fault.

Howard

Connoisseur
United States
New York
Bayside
It seems like just about almost everything is closing down and going bankrupt, the internet is winning!

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts