randomdude

United States
New Jersey
Plainsboro
Hello all,

I saw a nice pair of "original Cayman" Sebago loafers for cheap on the 'Bay. I know everyone swears by Cayman II's but what about Cayman I's? Are they acceptable?

qwerty

Yes, they are acceptable. I believe they are non-corrected grain leather (i.e., full grain leather), which is definitely a plus over the Weejun. I do now know if the Cayman II is full grain.

Cayman Is were made in USA for a long time -- perhaps all Cayman Is were, though it could be that the last year or so of production on Cayman Is was in South America (as it is now).

Aesthetically, there is one negative feature of the Cayman I: there is a line of stitching which traces the edge of the moccasin toe from about 3/8" away from the moc seam. This stitching has bothered some forum members (aesthetically, not functionally).

This stitching can be seen here: http://i14.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/84/c4/53bf_1.JPG

Cayman Is (and IIs, I believe) have split leather-rubber heels and can be resoled. They are leather lined, unlike the Weejun and unlike the Sebago Classic Beefroll.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
Qwerty made a good description of the (minor) differences between the Cayman I and II models. Only the stitching differs and that's mostly an issue of taste. But for illustrative purposes, and since I am cruel bastard, here's a pair of Cayman I shoes that were on eBay a few days ago. Apparently they came in brown at one time...

jamgood

Advanced Member
The machine sewing on the vamp is to retain the lining on a hand-sewn vamp moccasin. Functional. Ain't necessary on an unlined VVeeJun. Several brands of lined mocs of bygone days had such stitching, but not all lined mocs have this feature.

Some of the more recent US made Sebago hand-sewn mocs were of superior French calf. These stated so on the sock liner near the Sebago logo. I seem to recall there being three nails in the bottom center of the sole in front of, and parallel to, the heel. Retailed around $175 several years ago.

(Is this repetitive of information elsewhere on TradFo™? (TradFo™, TradInfo™ & Tradster™ are registered trademarks of: jamgood (Cayman) Ltd.))

Philip12

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm getting a bit nostalgic seeing these pics. I used to wear these a lot when I was a student (and afterwards). They were a good complement to my 986s. The stitching on the vamp didn't bother me at all. IMHO the color on the pictures is not brown, but what Sebago used to call 'cordo', dark burgundy/brown.

bluiewest1

Starting Member
United States
Georgia
Macon
For my $$$ the Cayman I's look a lot better than the Cayman II's. The brush-off finish never really develops a shine no matter how many coats of polish one applies. Also, the Cayman II is a larger shoe in width and length than an equivalent size in a Cayman I, apparently due to the different design. They look different and not for the better.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Canada
Ontario
Toronto
bluiewest1 said:
For my $$$ the Cayman I's look a lot better than the Cayman II's. The brush-off finish never really develops a shine no matter how many coats of polish one applies. Also, the Cayman II is a larger shoe in width and length than an equivalent size in a Cayman I, apparently due to the different design. They look different and not for the better.
I have been informed, by email from Sebago, that the Cayman II and Classic models are made on the same last. I guess it's possible, as your experience indicates, that the original Cayman "I" was on a different last. That's good to know when buying from eBay.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts