AGZKY

Starting Member
United States
New York
New York
Hi all - longtime lurker now turned poster here. I'm getting married in September in the South Carolina lowcountry. It's a formal event in the early evening and will likely range somewhere from hot to sweltering depending on humidity.

I'm having dinner suits made for me and my groomsmen by an NYC tailor who I know and trust. I've settled on an unusual fabric choice: midnight blue (reading nearly black) seersucker.

Before anyone starts: I know it's non-trad, I know it's more casual than a dinner suit might usually warrant, etc. I get that. But I like it, the bride is a big fan, and so are her very southern parents. I've decided my groomsmen will be in very standard fare (SB peak lapel, single button closure, etc.).

I intend to wear something a bit more sartorial, so my jacket will be a DB. My question for the forum is this: what lapel and button stance would you pair with that fabric in a DB (and perhaps taking into account the groomsmen)? I'm leaning toward wide peak lapels in a 4x1 configuration, but I'm interested in others' opinions. A shawl could be interesting too. Notch is not on the table.

Thanks in advance!

AGZKY

Starting Member
United States
New York
New York
I should have mentioned as well that I own other dinner suits in wool, so this is very much an intentionally place/scenario-specific purchase. It's not going to serve double-duty at a winter event.

Matt S

Connoisseur
United States
NY
New York
Congratulations on your wedding! Mine is coming up. Seersucker is certainly unusual. I like the 4x1 with peaked lapels, though a shawl collar may look better with the less formal fabric.

There is a traditional hot-weather option: an off-white dinner jacket in linen. They are especially nice in the 4x1 style.

You could also get a midnight blue dinner suit in a lightweight wool and mohair blend. Mohair wears cool and in light weights can stay crisp.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts