daveb

Starting Member
UK
UK ? Waltham Forest (how do you not know this?)
London
Hi, Long time lurker here, and I could do with some advice please. I like nice formal shoes, but I get a lot of wear on the soles and heels.

My other half recently bought me a beautiful pair of shoes, but they are fitted with metal blakeys that are built into the heels, as well as metal tips nailed onto the front of the sole (my other half spent quite a lot of money doing this, trying to be helpful to help reduce the time I have to get the soles replaced).

However...I've tried wearing them a couple of times to break them in, and the noise they make is ridiculous - if I'm on a quiet street I can be heard a mile off. I'm frankly embarassed to wear them. Has anyone got any advice? Is there a way to reduce the noise, and to get used to them? It was a really thoughtful gift, and I don't want to be ungrateful, but I feel people in the office will just laugh at the noise I make, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Dave

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders

Sorry, I know it's not a laughing matter. :oops:

Not familiar with the terminology of the specific items that offend as I've seen metal that is comparatively thin and simply tacked on, and those where a portion of the sole and heel is removed so they can be mounted flush. I'm assuming the later, and if so, I see nothing to do but either replace both sole and heel, or see if a cobbler could remove the steel, and replace it with another material such as rubber.

If it's of any use, I've noticed that steel plates at the toe seem to be common among a number of high end bespoke makers, and I've thought they must make a racket. I can't imagine them not doing so.

I know there are other members who have direct experience with these devices, so hopefully you'll get a better informed response.

derum

Suspended
United States
T
Houston
There is nothing you can do about the noise, other than taking them off and replacing with rubber. I used to be more worried about going arse over tit on concrete because they seemed to be the slippiest things ever made. Protected my shoes just fine by putting me in crutches.
For Flanderian: These are Segs.
B7C0FBF4-1BBC-425F-ADFD-96DCF0369B2B.jpeg

85C6C211-EE7B-46CA-9ACF-4EAACCFCB3AC.jpeg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
There is nothing you can do about the noise, other than taking them off and replacing with rubber. I used to be more worried about going arse over tit on concrete because they seemed to be the slippiest things ever made. Protected my shoes just fine by putting me in crutches.
For Flanderian: These are Segs.
View attachment 25623
View attachment 25622
Thanks!

I'm afraid I see limited options.

Nick V

United States
New York
New York
On the heels, I believe you are referring to these:

https://www.charlesbirch.com/p-14257-high-class-leather-heel-with-14-steel-tip-size-3-12-inch.aspx

I know them as "Segs". We don't offer them because they ARE loud AND slippery. They also are hard on the heel of your foot. A local cobbler can replace the top-lift (including the Segs) with a new one without the Segs. In this case I would recommend a dovetail design. That is a combination of leather and rubber which is appropriate for a high-grade shoe which is apparently what your Wife purchased for you.

On the toes, I believe you are referring to these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+of+lulu+toe+plates&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS757US757&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=dPT15rYbLRIbGM%3A%2C-dMwLBwJQgOW9M%2C_&usg=AI4_-kShzGg0LhMTGvVUPWe9woO_XSSKkg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjC-vy0pbTeAhVFnuAKHUgcAlIQ9QEwAXoECAUQBg#imgrc=dPT15rYbLRIbGM:

They are flush mounted metal toe plates. Also known as "Lulu's".
We install 8 to 12 pair on an average day and have been doing so for years. Maybe we've had 2 or 3 customers during that time comment that they make noise. So, I doubt that they are a source of your complaint.

Start with replacing the top-lift. Most likely that will solve your problem.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
On the heels, I believe you are referring to these:

https://www.charlesbirch.com/p-14257-high-class-leather-heel-with-14-steel-tip-size-3-12-inch.aspx

I know them as "Segs". We don't offer them because they ARE loud AND slippery. They also are hard on the heel of your foot. A local cobbler can replace the top-lift (including the Segs) with a new one without the Segs. In this case I would recommend a dovetail design. That is a combination of leather and rubber which is appropriate for a high-grade shoe which is apparently what your Wife purchased for you.

On the toes, I believe you are referring to these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+of+lulu+toe+plates&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS757US757&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=dPT15rYbLRIbGM%3A%2C-dMwLBwJQgOW9M%2C_&usg=AI4_-kShzGg0LhMTGvVUPWe9woO_XSSKkg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjC-vy0pbTeAhVFnuAKHUgcAlIQ9QEwAXoECAUQBg#imgrc=dPT15rYbLRIbGM:

They are flush mounted metal toe plates. Also known as "Lulu's".
We install 8 to 12 pair on an average day and have been doing so for years. Maybe we've had 2 or 3 customers during that time comment that they make noise. So, I doubt that they are a source of your complaint.

Start with replacing the top-lift. Most likely that will solve your problem.
Thanks for the education, Nick!

Since member daveb is new to our forum, forgive me for mentioning that Nick V is a principle in B. Nelson* which is regarded as one of America's finest cobblers. The superiority of their work has been attested to here by many AAAC members through the years.

The gentleman has the bona fides, his advice is well regarded.

* http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/default.asp

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts