mitsein

Great Britain
Hampshire
Southampton
Gents.

I always (perhaps mistakenly) thought that the shoe sizes are converted using some set standard. But, during an online shoe search, I came across this inconsistency between size conversion. The following is just a sample conversion of size 10, taken from the websites of Allen Edmonds (AE), Sanders (S), Barker (B) and Crockett & Jones (CJ).

UK, US, EU
B 10, 10.5, 44
CJ 10, 10.5, 44.4
AE 10, 10.5, 44.5
S 10, 11, 44.5

What might be the explanation of different conversion? Typo? Shoe-makers' own conversion? Is there (not) a standard conversion scheme between the shoe sizes (UK vs EU vs US vs etc)?

p.s. I am not asking about the subjective size or personal experience or fit, but how the shoe sizes are actually converted.

derum

Suspended
United States
T
Houston
I have always found that U.S. sizes are a full size bigger than U.K. - despite what the shoe salesmen or websites tell you.
(e.g. 9 U.S. = 8 U.K. 10 U.S. = 9 U.K.)

Lucido

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Ireland
Munster
Limerick
There is no standard conversion as far as I can tell. The most commonly accepted working theory is that your UK size is one full size smaller than US (11US -> 10UK) but I've also seen the difference expressed as a half size (11US - > 10.5UK) and god only knows what the continental European makers use to convert sizes. I take a 10.5UK and I've seen that converted into 44.5, 45 & 45.5 EU.

To show you what I mean, Vass show a UK10.5 being a 44.5EU, while Carmina show it as 45EU

Flanderian

Connoisseur
United States
New Jersey
Flanders
I need to go down one full size for UK sized footwear. I once order a pair only 1/2 size down, and it was far too large. My experience has been that 1 full size down may result in a shoe very slightly smaller than the U.S. size one full size larger, dependent upon make and last, but by far is the best choice for me.

RogerP

Connoisseur
Canada
ON
Oakville
If you believe there is one coversion chart that covers all shoes made on all lasts by all manufacturers from all countries could you at least share the pipe?

Lucido

Ireland
Munster
Limerick
If you believe there is one coversion chart that covers all shoes made on all lasts by all manufacturers from all countries could you at least share the pipe?
ISO 9407:1991

No idea how much it's actually used though.

jts287

United States
Ohio
Rocky River
I'm interested in hearing opinions as well- I had to quickly cancel a purchase for a pair of BV Intrecciato loafers because I followed the wrong chart for a EU to US size conversion. Thankfully I thought to double- and triple-check.

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts