Ole Hickory

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Gentlemen;
I have a problem.
Shoe storage has become an issue.
I have a large number of shoes & boots.
I have narrow feet & for years It would appear that I have purchased any/all footwear that fit & appealed to me. Few companies continue to manufacture narrow shoes & I have am prepared for the long haul.
As a result, I have in excess of 90 pair of casual - dress shoes (& boots).
I'm in my late forties. I have amassed a great deal of clothes over the years. I am unwilling to expand our house to accommodate (I have a large chifforobe in our bedroom & four closets throughout the house). I've at least 5 of those canvas shoe holders that hang on the back of doors.
In short, I need a silver bullet to deal with this issue.
I welcome any & all reasonable solutions.
Stay well,
OH

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Though, seriously, asking Eagle isn't really in jest, as he's had to deal with similar, and even greater volumes. Unfortunately, if there is a "silver bullet" I am unaware of it. Rather I think a piecemeal solution more likely. In that vein, I've seen containers intended for under bed storage. Some have a hinged lid, and/or on rollers, and some may have compartments. I would think recourse to them, if viable, might at least allow for storage of some of your collection.

vonSuess

I've purchased quite a few retail store fixtures and used them to outfit a room in my house where I keep most of my clothing. There seems to be a store fixture or merchandiser for everything, including shoes. I've used a place online called store supply warehouse for a few things, although I don't see the racks on their site I use to hang shirts and suits. I'm sure there are many others in the same business. When retailers close, they frequently sell their store fixtures for next to nothing so this is another source for those who don't mind buying used...

Woofa

Vonsuess has good advice. If you can, turn one room into a walk in closet. If not then storage in your garage seems the next best option. After that it is paying for a storage unit which in my opinion is going down a bad road.
most of us here have excessive wardrobes and as long as you have the space...and the money then you can do what you like.
but, pushing 100 pairs of shoes, and an equal amount of other clothing, does seem excessive. Unless you really wear them all it might be time to start curbing it a bit. Fifty pairs of shoes should be more than adequate to cover any situation you might find yourself in. Plus if you give some to charity you will be helping someone get something they sorely need. I wish you luck.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Ole Hickory:

Andy's brown loafers only section! (NOT Oxfords, Driving Shoes, walking/track, golf, etc.)

1588207059196.png

I've been culling my collection by taking items when traveling and leaving them at the last stop, hopefully to the delight of the hotel or cruise staff. But that's not happening now nor will in for the next year (or so).

How about reworking an area in your garage?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Two choices:

View attachment 43231

OR -

PM eagle2250
LOL Reading Ole Hickory's post was a bit of a deja vue experience for me, as I found myself wondering "when did I post this." As the wife and I became empty nesters, I too laid claim to all the closets in the rooms vacated by adult children who were out on their own. As member vonSeuss suggests, I even took our oldest daughter's old bedroom and converted it into a huge walk in closet. However the best solution I could come up with to address shoe storage was customizing my closet in the master bedroom, converting fully half of it to built in shoe shelves (10 feet long and 10 shelves stacked). But even with that, I had shoes/boots stored in every other closet to which I had laid claim in our Hoosierville home. Since then we downsized and moved to central Florida and I have been forced to downsize my collection by more than 60 pair and still have too many pair to keep out of sight! Life is truly good. Ole Hickory, enjoy your pain...it's more than a hobby, it is your life's passion. LOL. ;)

MarcDavidMiller

Regarding the suggestion to store shoes in a garage: I would be cautious about this, given weather variables (especially moisture) and insects/critters. If the shoes are stored in airtight boxes, the leather would not be able to breath.

2nd Point: When I was a teenager a friend showed me his father’s shoe closet (the family lived in a huge apartment on Fifth Avenue in New York City, a well-off area). Floor to ceiling John Lobb, exclusively, except for one pair of Adidas and a pair of Top-Siders. Thus proving, there is never enough.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
2nd Point: When I was a teenager a friend showed me his father’s shoe closet (the family lived in a huge apartment on Fifth Avenue in New York City, a well-off area). Floor to ceiling John Lobb, exclusively, except for one pair of Adidas and a pair of Top-Siders. Thus proving, there is never enough.
Well, as the saying goes, whether you're rich or you're poor, it's nice to have money!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I basically stopped buying shoes. Heck, I've about stopped buying clothes. One does have to have somewhere to wear them, after all, and the current condition forcing one to remain at home except for the occasional jaunt out for necessities is no fun at all for a sartorialist.

IT_cyclist

I purchased several of the Woodlore shoe storage units. You can stack them to the ceiling if you want. I also got some of the "extenders" which allows one to store boots in the stack.
If that doesn't solve your problem, and if you are a size 8.5, I have another option in mind.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
I basically stopped buying shoes. Heck, I've about stopped buying clothes. One does have to have somewhere to wear them, after all, and the current condition forcing one to remain at home except for the occasional jaunt out for necessities is no fun at all for a sartorialist.
Rather my situation as well. I suppose also storage problems can limit wardrobe size for most of us, and there is a point where wardrobe building lapses into addictive acquisition.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Rather my situation as well. I suppose also storage problems can limit wardrobe size for most of us, and there is a point where wardrobe building lapses into addictive acquisition.
"Addictive acquisition?" Sounds familiar...been there and egad, it seems I may have not yet left! Welcome to my hoard. LOL. :crazy:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.