Shoe trees for loafers

FLMike

Connoisseur
United States
FL
West Coast
My guess is the OP is thinking of hinged shoe trees. They are a specific size ie size 10 and are hinged to allow insertion. Here's a pic of one.
What in the world would make you guess the OP is thinking about that style of shoe trees?!

Jeff84

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Michigan
Livonia
What in the world would make you guess the OP is thinking about that style of shoe trees?!
I’m looking for shoe trees that don’t have springs that stick, making it hard to remove the tree from the shoe. That and I was asking specifically for something better for softer leather.

Last edited:

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
I’m looking for shoe trees that don’t have springs that stick, making it here to remove the tree from the shoe. That and I was asking specifically for something better for softer leather.
I have a Napa leather pair of Santoni loafers and they actually distorted with a standar spring-loaded pair of Woodlore. I ended up buying an adjustable pair like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJIRLSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and even sanding the point off of the toe to get it just right since they are rather flimsy compared to other loafers I have (Blake welted with a single thin leather sole.)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Harmony, FL
United States
Florida
Harmony
⇧ Oh great, now my life pales in comparison to a shoe tree :(.
Indeed, but the pictures of the effect(s) of the shoe trees on the shaping of the shoes profile and heel cups are certainly a persuasive argument for using shoe trees! ;)

challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
Virginia
Alexandria
I have a Napa leather pair of Santoni loafers and they actually distorted with a standar spring-loaded pair of Woodlore. I ended up buying an adjustable pair like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WJIRLSU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and even sanding the point off of the toe to get it just right since they are rather flimsy compared to other loafers I have (Blake welted with a single thin leather sole.)

In my experience, shoes generally and loafers specifically, will stretch out on their own via regular wear.

winghus

United States
North Carolina
Greensboro
In my experience, shoes generally and loafers specifically, will stretch out on their own via regular wear.
They changed shape to match the tree, including the curve on the bottom and the point in the toe. After time with the flat-bottomed tree and the end sanded blunt they returned to close to the original shape. I have plenty of experience also, you're not the only person to own leather shoes you know.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
United States
New York
NY
Indeed, but the pictures of the effect(s) of the shoe trees on the shaping of the shoes profile and heel cups are certainly a persuasive argument for using shoe trees! ;)
Not having grown up in a house where you learn these things, I was fortunately introduced to the benefits of good shoe trees early. I remember some of my friends dismissing them - both the idea and the extra cost (which really matters when you're young, not making much and building a wardrobe) - but I'm a take-care-of-your-stuff-by-nature guy, so I was receptive to the idea.

Now, working from home and with so much business casual (most places I go for meetings don't want you to wear a suit, etc.), my good dress shoes and boots sit untouched for months and months (even years) with shoe trees in them and cotton shoe bags over them and, I'm guessing, are bored as heck.

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
I’ll reiterate; for soft sided loafers newsprint will suffice.

Personally, I don’t see the point in using rigid shoe trees to maintain their form. They really don’t have “form” in the sense that a pair of oxfords might. Or other loafers which are more constructed, lined and more structured in that sense.

They are meant to be soft and forgiving and I will guess that’s why the OP is asking about something that is not spring actuated as he is concerned about the stress.

I’ve used newsprint in such shoes for years. I’ve never had any issues or problems. If you don’t like newsprint, their are light weight travel shoe trees that are soft and should not distort or otherwise stretch out your loafers.