RogerP

Connoisseur
Greetings all,

I thought it might be nice to have one spot were we could post recent wardrobe additions. Picked up a new jacket, waistcoat, belt or tie? Feel free to give us a peek. Found a really good deal on-line or at a brick and mortar? Share the good news here. Considering a new purchase but on the fence? We stand ready to enable.

Everything BUT SHOES and BOOTS please (let's keep those in the existing dedicated thread).

So what's new for fall with you all? Or new in general?

My latest is this thick tweedy casual sport coat by D'Avenza. I've been wanting to expand my smart casual wear with a few jackets that work well sans tie and with more casual trousers. This one will be paired with some plush golden-brown cords that are my second most recent purchase (no pics of those, unfortunately).

mreams99

The things I look forward to most about this change of season: boots and heavy fabrics. I just love the look and feel of flannels, tweed and cashmere.
I agree 100%. I would add corduroy to that list myself. That sports coat that you just purchased is great. That is absolutely something that I would wear.
I've got a tweed jacket from Orvis on the way. I'll have to post pictures when it arrives.

delicious_scent

PC's "jeanos". Basically thicker chinos that are ultra casual. They have a proper rise for my body.

I realized a few months ago that I've properly rehauled my wardrobe over the years....except for the most basic items that I'm most likely to wear every day.

I had a pair of low rise Levi chinos for years, and I finally decided to retire them. I feel much more comfortable in these. Can fully spread my legs, have much more range of motion, no flashing underwear when bending over etc.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The things I look forward to most about this change of season: boots and heavy fabrics. I just love the look and feel of flannels, tweed and cashmere.
"Change of season(s)?" Yes I remember such fondly. However, over the past two years the best I could hope for was an opportunity to put away the linen, cotton poplin and seersucker garments and for a few short months, pull out the flannels and lightweight tweeds. The "snowbirds" come to Florida for a reason during the 'colder weather(?)' months of the year and it isn't for a chance to enjoy the 'briskly falling outside air temperatures or snow! LOL. ;)

vonSuess

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Well, I bought this Henschel hat from Wilson's Leather (!) for $39.00 with free shipping. It seems to be a different price every day, but I think this is about as low as it gets. It's dark olive leather that a lot of people mistake for brown. When the weather cools off, I'll wear it with tweed and leather jackets and since I've hosed it down pretty well with water repellent, probably with my rain coat as well.

I know what you're thinking about Wilson's, but it's a pretty nice hat for the money...
upload_2017-9-20_19-36-23.png

Hans

momsdoc

Connoisseur
Roger that tweed is beautiful. I like the cut of the jacket, and the swelled edges give it a nice casual vibe.

I've always been leery of those safari pocketshowever. I don't know what to do with that look. I understand you plan to wear it casually without a tie, but how do you see it. Do you plan to wear it in lieu of an outer coat in cool weather, and then not take it off inside if it's warm. Or do you see it as an alternative to an outer coat to be removed once inside? I just don't know how to work that kind of item. I'd love to be able to expand my repertoire into having one, I'm just confused as to how to utilize them. When they would be appropriate, or too casual for a time you might just throw a Harris tweed on over an OCBD, or dressier than when you're feeling like a sweater might suffice.

Any time I can throw tweed into the mix is a good time. Help me out figuring another way to add tweed to my life.

Last week I was excited that the evenings were in the 50's and days in the high 60's. I thought I could jump start the season. All the boots are ready, but now we're looking at a week of mid 70's to 80 degree days and nights in the mid 60's. I may even use the pool this weekend. I wish winter would make up its mind and begin already. I want shearling boots, tweed overcoats, Alpaca sweaters, and most of all I want to break out the tweed waist coats, and thick wool earth tone ties.

Wearing 4 layers, scarves, gloves, and being toasty warm in sub freezing temps is a marvelous thing. So many colors, so many textures it makes the summer boring. Don't get me wrong, by March I'm itching for pastels and linen, but that interlude just makes the anticipation of winter that much more delicious. Poor Eagle.

Last edited:

RogerP

Connoisseur
Roger that tweed is beautiful. I like the cut of the jacket, and the swelled edges give it a nice casual vibe.

I've always been leery of those safari pocketshowever. I don't know what to do with that look. I understand you plan to wear it casually without a tie, but how do you see it. Do you plan to wear it in lieu of an outer coat in cool weather, and then not take it off inside if it's warm. Or do you see it as an alternative to an outer coat to be removed once inside? I just don't know how to work that kind of item. I'd love to be able to expand my repertoire into having one, I'm just confused as to how to utilize them. When they would be appropriate, or too casual for a time you might just throw a Harris tweed on over an OCBD, or dressier than when you're feeling like a sweater might suffice.
The safari pockets were part of the attraction for me because a) they make the jacket more casual, which is what I was after and b) I have nothing else like it in my wardrobe.

I'll be wearing it at least on first outing with deep golden tan corduroy trousers and whatever complimentary collared casual shirt I can find. I'd love a cream flannel, but don't own such at present.

The jacket is, I suspect, too warm to be layered over knit wear. It can certainly serve as an outer coat paired with a tweed flat cap on a brisk fall day, and won't require more than a lightweight overcoat for the winter months.

I likewise find it much easier to pair and wear suits and more formal sport coats, but I have plenty of both and I'm making an effort to expand into the more casual application of an odd jacket. Such will serve for casual Fridays at work (and be faaaar ahead of what passes for the norm there) as well as pretty much ANY social event that doesn't require a tie - from movies, to dinner at the pub.. to just a day out and about.

CLTesquire

Both jackets were ordered in the Neopolitan style as a 3 roll 2 with lower open patch pockets, very lightly padded shoulders, and shirt sleeve construction. I'm super excited.

Best of all they were F/W fabrics in a 9 or 10 ounce weight, which will work perfectly for me here in Charlotte.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.