OldRaincoat

Starting Member
Italy
emilia-romagna
ferrara
I know "sober" it's a subjective matter so I'll ask you no more than your personal opinion. I'd like to get a very serious, sober, not eye-catching (...and so on) pair of sunglasses. I discarded the usual fashion models as wayfarer and the sporty ones too and I think one of the most sober shape I've found is the classic aviator American Optical sunglasses
american optical 71052BLK_1024x1024.jpg
They're not "pretty" as rayban aviator or wayfarer, they look like just as 2 pieces of colored plastic in front of your eyes :)
Another chance would be some persols old style like steve mcqueen's but I don't like the silver arrow logo contrasting with the background plastic color because it pops up too much for my sober-ish gauge :)

What's your personal idea/suggestion of this kind of sunglasses?

Adelantado

United States
Texas
El Paso
Go to an optical shop where people get prescription glasses, pick out a frame you like, and then have them install the lenses, as dark as as you like and with the UV protection, without a prescription of course...

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
Why are wayfarers not considered sober? Just curious.

OldRaincoat

Starting Member
Italy
emilia-romagna
ferrara
@SG_67
I predicted a question like yours and I answear there's no objective gauge as I said. Personally I can consider wayfarers sober but it depends more on the dress in my opinion, I mean I think they're more "fittable" than AO and RE "mood". It's difficult to explain for me, let's take some "serious" people as this ones
1255.jpg
persol 2712 ed harris_3.jpg
I guess their characters (both from fiction and real world) would haven't had the same "mood" with wayfarers, while let's have a look on Tom here :)
54d1a93473b4a_-_esq-03-best-movie-sunglasses-tom-cruise-2013-mdn-16359647.jpg
My personal "limit" could be Al
al pacino heat - 3222.jpg
though they're quite sporty for my personal taste. Maybe now you've understood a bit better my gauge but it's not the point, you don't have to answer that question or other similar ones for this thread but just tell what are sober/serious sunglasses for *you* :)

SG_67

Connoisseur
United States
Illinois
Chicago
For me, both aviator style and wayfarer style sunglasses would fit the bill.

It’s a matter of taste. For some reason, when I think wayfarer I think warmer months, but I’m just as comfortable wearing aviators in warmer weather.

Kyle76

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
United States
NC
Fayetteville
Nothing sober here. Cool as Ice.

28824553-0902-4F63-BE90-8CEC6F514A70.jpeg

Ratio Clothing Custom Shirts